What's new

"DON'T BUY A GAME" week;)

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
its been set up by a bunch of people who are bitching about game prices. The excuse is "it costs 40p to make a game".

Just because if this lame ass whining im buying a game:p

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Upss! Too late!

I'm buying Metroid Prime!

Please, DON'T mind the price :saint:

P.D If anyone don't like it, say it and i'll remove it.

UltraThing

I can't remember video games ever being CHEAP, unless they were older releases that sucked.

When the Atari 2600 was released it was $299, and that was back in 1978 or whatever.

Atari 2600 games were about $30 new. Same for most NES games. We're talking 20 years ago.

I'd equate that to the $50 average we're paying now for new releases.

I'm not saying I like game prices, I'm just saying it's nothing new.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
neoak said:
Upss! Too late!

I'm buying Metroid Prime!

Please, DON'T mind the price :saint:

P.D If anyone don't like it, say it and i'll remove it.

err, if your a hardcore fps fan you won't like metroid prime much, unless you already were a metroid fan...

anyway, thanks to people like you, you screw the whole point of this week!!;):happy: o well

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Truth is, I've never spent more than $30 on a game in my entire life. Only exception is when I bought starcraft at $44 3 months after its release, but it included a $20 rebate, so guess it doesn't count :p

Jaz

Ex-Mod
The whole don't buy a game week will never work.

At the end of the day, games companies know damn well that we will pay the ammount we pay for games so they won't reduce them.

If game prices would be lower, it's likley that the videogaming industry would be not in a good state, seeing as companies pretty much make a loss on every console they sell.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You know, most game companies can make a good profit off of selling games for $20-$30 each (think about it, the materials at most cost $5 per unit to make, and for the retailer to re-sell for a profit), but they sell them at outrageously high prices initialy because they know a lot of people will rush out and buy these games as soon as they hit the shelves. Take your metroid for example, if that game had a different title, it would probably sell for a lot cheaper initialy. Its just way to profitable to do it any other way, so why? Those who wont pay that much will just be oblivious to the game until its cheaper, where the company still makes that profit off of them eventualy anyways.

aprentice

AlphaWolf said:
You know, most game companies can make a good profit off of selling games for $20-$30 each (think about it, the materials at most cost $5 per unit to make, and for the retailer to re-sell for a profit), but they sell them at outrageously high prices initialy because they know a lot of people will rush out and buy these games as soon as they hit the shelves. Take your metroid for example, if that game had a different title, it would probably sell for a lot cheaper initialy. Its just way to profitable to do it any other way, so why? Those who wont pay that much will just be oblivious to the game until its cheaper, where the company still makes that profit off of them eventualy anyways.

Dont forget the programmers who get paid very well an hour to code the game, make music, and gfx over a year or two dev time :happy:

And yea, the retailer does jack up the prices, but games arent that cheap to start with anyway.

UltraThing

It's like anything else .... the price will be as high as the market will bear. When market forces push the price down to a level of profit which is insufficient to sustain the producer, production stops.

Games are priced $50 because people will pay $50. The "don't buy a game week" is a noble undertaking, but even if the average consumer joined in this temporary boycott, the likely result would be a cheapening of game content to accomodate the drop in prices.

L

Lachp30

I havn't bought a game for about 6 months now, soo I'll be right:D

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
ra5555 said:
High Game Prices will generally mean higher quality games

I wouldn't say that, in fact, no offense, but I can't think of even one time that this would be true. More like "Higher game hype will generaly mean higher priced game". Contradictions anybody? At least one incident? I can name several incidents that support my way of thinking <_< (C&C2 is a big one)

Also, isn't it funny that you can get some realy high quality games, like counterstrike, that are free?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes...it's most likely that games which are popular get high prices. Since the price is usually way higher than the production cost.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
we've had this stupid discussion twice allready.. i don't get why ppl can't pay what things are worth.. if you really consider how much money games costs in the making.. you could say they are underpriced.. many are VERY underpriced.. sure.. some are overpriced.. but do you expect Mario Sunshine to sell for 20$ just coz N knows so many will buy it?.. that's just ridicules..

usually big games will get their invested time and money paid in months (some really big games in just days).. but the not so good games can take up to 1 year.. then you have the games that they thought ppl would like but very few bought.. then you end up at not earning back the amount you used up on salaries and hype etc.. and some ppl get fired/transfered or feel incompetent and change line of work..

sure.. in reality you can allways ask for more.. it's natural to want more.. but ppl need to consider the ppl in the other end too.. ppl sitting in front of a computer get so selfish sometimes.. it's scary..

also.. i feel it's ridicules trully.. that "no buy game week" thing.. coz it started as an excuse by some lamers in a forum to why they had the supposed right to leech games.. so if you support this thing.. in the true act how much ever they may say it's not.. your just supporting some limey morons who feel everything should be free and that they have the right to download things from a p2p just coz it's to hard for them to save and spend..

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
I completely agree. I have no problem with the price of games. In fact, as I said in the oz game prices thread, the price of games has not increased in the last 10 years (at least in Australia). That is effectively a 5% decrease in price per year for the last 10 years.

As rattrap said, this is just an excuse for people who pirate games to feel morally right about doing so. Well, I honestly don't care if people pirate games, just don't think that you are justified because you think the game is too expensive.

Now if this was a 'dont buy music week' then I would agree. Music is overpriced, and most of the profits go to the record companies, and not the artists anyway.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, in that respect your making it sound like its moraly wrong to wait until a specific game gets cheap before you buy it. Thats just called being smart. I am never in a rush to get any game, ever. I only get it when its convenient, like for example, I only buy games when I am on leave or break or something, when I actualy have time to play games. And usualy when I do this, I am buying 5 months ago's game, and the games coming out right at that time I will buy next time I am not busy with other things, because then, it will be half price, and everybody else who has played it will tell me if its good or not.

I am not going to pay no $60 for no C&C2 just because it makes some corporate croneys feel better, call me insensitive all you want, but I'm not a fucking charity. ;)

Last edited: