What's new

Do I have a Firewall

JedUK

Disco Banana
As I stated i another thread I am having trouble connecting to stuff like IRC and Kazaa and online games etc

sounds like a firewall, No?

I dont think I have one installed

I am Using Windows XP. here are the programs I have running are any of them a firewall or contain a firewall do you know

(I only put in the user name that was running 5 of them because the all had the same name CVCHOST.EXE)

atdialler1.exe
Walpaper Changer 2.exe
ICQlite.exe
WINAMPA.EXE
SOINTGR.EXE
SOUNDMAN.EXE
EXPLORER.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE SYSTEM
alg.exe
LEXPPS.EXE
SPOOLSSV.EXE
LEXBCES.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE LOCAL SERVICE
SVCHOST.EXE NETWORK SERVICE
SVCHOST.EXE SYSTEM
SVCHOST.EXE SYSTEM
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE
CSRSS.EXE
SMSS.EXE
MyIE.exe
taskmgr.exe
System
System Idle Process

also any help on bypassing a firewall would be greatly appreciated

Trotterwatch

Go into services and disable Application Layer Gateway, as well as XP firewall (best make sure you have all neccessary updates installed before you do this though).

OP
JedUK

JedUK

Disco Banana
XP firewall is already disabled b what do you mean "Go into services and disable Application Layer Gateway" where is this?

OP
JedUK

JedUK

Disco Banana
That application layer gateway seems to be disabled anyway so what else do you think might work

Trotterwatch

Just as an experiment (nothing is going to be harmed btw - a restart will bring everything back, or simply just using the associated programs will).

End task on:

atdialler1.exe
Walpaper Changer 2.exe
ICQlite.exe
WINAMPA.EXE
SOINTGR.EXE
SOUNDMAN.EXE
alg.exe
LEXPPS.EXE
SPOOLSSV.EXE
LEXBCES.EXE
MyIE.exe

Also go into services.msc again and disable the QOS packet scheduler service.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You know that the xp firewall doesn't protect against these security issues, even if they are installed? The only way to protect from those is to patch, whether or not that firewall is on, or use a better firewall.

Oh and another problem known to cause things as these is if you're behind a router.

Trotterwatch

You know that the xp firewall doesn't protect against these security issues, even if they are installed?

Eh? You mean issues like the blaster virus and suchlike - pretty sure it does protect against things like that. Unfortunately there is a lot of anti-ms propoganda around about the firewall.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Unfortunaly, I know that at least one issue of which there's a patch against to solve, the xp firewall does *NOT* protect against. Which can be pretty annoying.

Trotterwatch

Which instance in that? Qhosts or something like that - do other firewalls block it?

Please try posting specific info (it helps in the long run).

OP
JedUK

JedUK

Disco Banana
That QoS thingy is already disabled too and closing those programs don't help what else ya got

Edit: I did a port scan and found that my open ports are

TCP 135 Open Trojan
TCP 445 Open
TCP 1025 Open Trojan
TCP 1026 Open
5000 Open Trojan

jollyrancher

Open trojan ports are not a good thing... disinfect your computer with something like "Anti-Trojan 5.5" or Spybot and then give it a shot.

Last edited: