What's new

DivX Encoding

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Seriously, for the purposes of backup (NOT COPYING), which DivX encoding tools do people use here? I'm making the assumption that a fair few of you around here do actually encode etc.

At the moment I'm using FlaskMPEG 0.549, DVD Audio Ripper and VirtualDub but Flask isn't exactly brilliant. Anybody got any better suggestions?

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Grrrreat. Guess folks prefer to just download DivX films instead of making them, then.

Best be closing this one, moderator-types.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Just so you know, virtualdub is excellent for encoding movies. I've done it many times myself.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Doomulation said:
Just so you know, virtualdub is excellent for encoding movies. I've done it many times myself.

You can encode with VirtualDub? I've only ever used it for dubbing ripped movie audio over the FlasK output .avi file.

Intriguing. Does it handle sound as well?

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
one word: doom9.org

I can't help more as i hate divx, the only real video format is dvd ! :p

Edit: virtual dub is designed to encode avi files (video + audio) but you need some external tool to decode a dvd such as dvd2avi.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
DivX is a really, really good format for those of us who didn't want to pay for DVD ReWriters.

I might add, though, that in America it's illegal for anyone to decode a DVD using the DeCSS engine (which many DVD rippers are based on), and you can get prosecuted for downloading and using the software, so... watch out. I don't think it's illegal an England... yet.

Incidentally, for non-Americans DVD Ripper is the way to fly for lifting a DVD and storing it whole on your PC...

Last edited:

pandamoan

Banned
Xade said:
Seriously, for the purposes of backup (NOT COPYING), which DivX encoding tools do people use here? I'm making the assumption that a fair few of you around here do actually encode etc.

At the moment I'm using FlaskMPEG 0.549, DVD Audio Ripper and VirtualDub but Flask isn't exactly brilliant. Anybody got any better suggestions?

i use dvdx which is very simple, fast, and effective. it's also open source and at version 2.2:

www.sourceforge.net

have fun!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Xade said:
You can encode with VirtualDub? I've only ever used it for dubbing ripped movie audio over the FlasK output .avi file.

Intriguing. Does it handle sound as well?
Yes. VirtualDub can compress audio as well.