What's new

Disk Cleanup problem with XP

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I've been trying to run disk cleanup on my computer for a while now and it just won't do it. It gets to about 12% or so along then it just freezes, it takes up all of my resources and freezes. I've left it on and running for over 12 hours once and it didn't get ANY farther. Any suggestions? :down:

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I've tried it numerous times, I kinda gave up on it for a while but now I need diskspace. :/

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Hi
have you tried to wipe the recycle bin files rather then delete them .
heres a good one cyberscrub the newest version trial . just a suggestion not sure if it will help. what i like about it is unlike a few others i use it doesnt erase all my user settings for my isp . so signing on is still working good.

later , Liteuser

Edit - sounds like a harddrive error.
in that case i would backup to another drive or burn
then write the drive to zeros , format and new install.
but thats just what i would do . its up to you

Last edited:
OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Doh. >< I hope it's not a harddrive error. :/ I really liked this Seagate... Well, as soon as I come across some more money, I'll get another harddrive I guess.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Quite honestly, utilities like disk cleanup and system restore are dodgy at best. They are mostly just novelty items that microsoft advertizes to get people to upgrade. I would never rely on these, in fact they actually break things more than fix them from what I have seen. Instead you should just clean/fix things the old fassioned way, and disable the system restore service while your at it because it alone is a huge waste of CPU/Memory and hard disk space.

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
GogoTheMimic said:
Doh. >< I hope it's not a harddrive error. :/ I really liked this Seagate... Well, as soon as I come across some more money, I'll get another harddrive I guess.

Did you get any bad block and/or controller errors in the event log?

If you are, check the IDE cable. Different IDE drivers may be required.

Please know that the problem may be a motherboard problem, not a faulty hard disk drive.

Last edited:

pandamoan

Banned
semi related problem...

i have a somewhat similar problem, i downloaded a divx off of emule, and now i can't delete the file, and it takes a long time to load. it plays fine when it does eventually load. i did a virus scan immediately thinking only a virus could make a file un-deleteable, but i don't know...

any ideas?

Trotterwatch

Have you rebooted the computer since? You'll find that sometimes files will not delete, because sometime from them is still resident in memory (or something like that).

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
RJARRRPCGP said:
Did you get any bad block and/or controller errors in the event log?

If you are, check the IDE cable. Different IDE drivers may be required.

Please know that the problem may be a motherboard problem, not a faulty hard disk drive.

Nope, it just freezes up on me so I have to ctrl+alt+delete it. My IDE's are firmly attached and I have all the newest drivers.