What's new

Direct64 - now works with Radeon8500 class cards

Trotterwatch

Direct64 the excellent plugin developed by Orkin now works on all Radeon cards from the 8500 class and above (9000/9100 etc).

The fix: Install the Catalyst Doom3 Hotfix drivers available from http://www.ati.com

Get the plugin from here:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=20197

Or pick up an older version from the archives (newest version doesn't support Simulate overscan or Orkinsampling properly, whereas the version prior does).

Great work Orkin, and a nice pat on the back for ATI ;)

Last edited:

BountyJedi

Nice to hear compatibilty has increased somewhat although i alredy have it working though =P with 9800 but its good for the guys with older cards or so ...

Hal

Bartman
Sorry, but where on the ATI Site can I find it?? I searched the site as thourgh as I could and couldn't find a patch.

BountyJedi

i downloaded these drivers out of curiosoty and noticed this new checker in the antialiasing settings.
it says temporary antialiasing or something what does it do? i didnt see antialisaing was broken without it checked but it seemed as it almost got better aa when checking it (i didnt test fsaa though just window)
edit:tested fsaa now aswell)

Last edited:

Reznor007

Temporal FSAA changes the FSAA sample pattern per frame, so it if effectively a double effective FSAA mode. It only works when your frame rate is 60 or above.

gokuss4

Meh...
Reznor007 said:
Temporal FSAA changes the FSAA sample pattern per frame, so it if effectively a double effective FSAA mode. It only works when your frame rate is 60 or above.

correction, Temporal AA works only when vsync is enabled, therefore, can't go above 60 frames per second ;).

BountyJedi

ok better use vsync then =P
the reason why it transltes into something meaning about temporray AA on sweidsh must be automatized translation i also saw some other funky translation somewhere in these drivers

Reznor007

gokuss4 said:
correction, Temporal AA works only when vsync is enabled, therefore, can't go above 60 frames per second ;).

Correction, it can go as high as your refresh rate. For example, I can do 1024x768@100Hz and get 100FPS. And it will automatically disable temporal AA when your frame rate drops below 60.

gokuss4

Meh...
The one big potential caveat here is that if frame rates drop too low, then the effect becomes visible to the human eye and flickering will occur. Therefore, this new technique is obviously not going to be suitable for all titles, the user will need to pick and choose carefully those which will give sufficient performance for the method to function as it should. A side-effect of this is that V-sync has to be enabled when temporal AA is used (this is forced on in ATi's drivers when it is in use), and also requires a high refresh rate on your monitor to really do it justice (in the order of 100Hz seems to do the job nicely).

Also, Temp AA works even below 60 frames, but flickering around the edges might occur.

Kyo

Yeah..
Thanks a lot for the news Trotty, but are those drivers beta-stable, or beta-corrupt-a-lot-except-for-doom-and-direct64?

AznGuy28

Kyo said:
Thanks a lot for the news Trotty, but are those drivers beta-stable, or beta-corrupt-a-lot-except-for-doom-and-direct64?

Anyone here play cs and installed the drivers? Recently i noticed that smoke grenades seriously lag down game play :huh: . Not sure if its from the latest ati drivers (07/07/04 6.14.10.6458) or from the beta drivers. It could also be stuff from the several month absence from playing cs, but just checking if anyone else had issuses with the smoke grenades