What's new

Digital / Analog Sound

Macca

I've got a problem with some speakers, i have absolutly no idea about this so any help would be appreciated.

I got a set of digital speakers which worked on my old pc. now when i plug them into my new pc they do not work.

It must be a problem with the speakers as using headphones works fine. The integrated soundcard im using is a 6 channel digital audio card so it should work fine with digital speakers.

Anyone have any idea how i can get these speakers to work?

Cheers

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Drivers, perhaps? Are they plugged into the right place? Are you using the right cords? I know nothing about digital speakers, but digital connections require special cables (and different connectors from their analog counterparts.) The coax digital connection especially can be very easily confused with a regular coax cable, but that's another example. I dunno.

OP
Macca

Macca

its all plugged in correctly.

my mobo is the Asus P4P800 (800FSB/LAN/Audio).

i mainly wanna find out if you have to install special drivers or something to get the digital speakers working

Well, this may not help but,

Did you try unplugging the speakers from the sound card?
Did try to restart the PC with the speakers on?
Are the speakers plugged in the right jack?
Are you using the right cables (my digital speakers have two different cables for digital and analog)

IMO, digital speakers are very picky.

OP
Macca

Macca

i just connected them through the analog inputs (it was both digital and analog). way too lazy to try and work the digital :p

Reznor007

Usually on 6 channel cards the digital output is on the center/sub output and has to be enabled on the control panel. Also, if it's a 5.1 speaker set, you won't get digital 5.1 sound unless you use an nForce board with Dolby Digital. You can still get analog 5.1 though. If you want digital, you have to set it to stereo.

And digital audio cables are the same thing as RCA/Composite video cables. 75ohm cable is all you need for either.

Kahenraz

Try turning on "output" and plugin your speakers into there.
Also try using a splitter and connecting both your headphones and your speakers into the dual jack.

If the problem still persists, your speakers may be toast. *sizzle*