What's new

Deciding Which Emulators Work Best

SirLuck

Watch out when viewing sites that claim to make it clear which emulator plays which game the best. Their results are strictly relevant to their video card and probably their processor as well.

I loved Olax' site (http://www.olax.emulation64.com) but he is using an ATI Radeon Mobility graphics card with a gigahertz processor and 256 megs of ram.

When I tested his results on my desktop with a Voodoo 3 3000 and a 850 Mhz processor, 128 megs ram..I rarely agreed 1964 was best at anything! I also can't use Jabo's Direct3D7 for many games...It works well for Space Invaders, but I get better results from Jabo's Direct3D6 for everything else.

Again, I compliment Olax for his site, but want to warn others to use his site (and similiar ones) as guidelines only. You need to test results yourself before re-arranging roms on your hard drive based on results from different machine configurations. If you don't, you will have wasted a lot of time (like I did, haha)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
so what if you have to use D3D6, it doesnt change the emu recommendations.. or anything much

OP
S

SirLuck

Yes, it does change recommendations...at least for my Voodoo 3 3000 system..1964 hasn't worked best for anything yet...will be testing my laptop with Nvidia Go video card soon.

Olax

If you have any problems with the recommendations on the site then please let me know the specific game.

To adress your point, I'm not sure I ever claimed to be a definitive oracle on what game plays best on which emulator, the ini/rdb authors such as smiff and noote do a much better job at that than I do. As much as anything my site is aimed at showing you what the game looks like and how good it is and I suppose cynically, to give you an idea of which game is worth downloading.

I assume most people realise that I don't have 6 different graphics cards to test against, so all results shown will be machine dependent. The radeon is a good card for N64 emulation so hopefully the graphics on the site show what can be acheived.

Apologies if I wasted your time, I can assure you that the site consumes a fair amount of my time as well!

Olax flounces out of the room, slams the door, and storms off in a melodramatic huff!

;)

olax

OP
S

SirLuck

Well dang! I sure didn't mean to offend you. I stated that I like your site a lot! No one has every card.

Olax

Easy tiger, note the smile at the end, I was just joshing wth you,

I did notice the praise for the site, (which I appreciated!) and after your mail I added some info to my site about graphics cards becuase I thought you had a valid point

That first mail, It's a humour thing, being an american you probably wouldn't understand!

:)

(note the smile again)

olax