What's new

Curious about video feature use

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Just a quick question... about video.

If I have a Kyro II and a Voodoo2 SLI, both of which lack hardware TCL...

And I buy, say, a Radeon 9500 Pro, which HAS hardware TCL...

Will any of the video plugins use it? That'd probably free up my CPU to do more emulatin' huh? Poor old 800MHz Coppermine...

And if they don't, is there any particular reason why it can't be done, or would it just detract from performance instead of improve it? Hmm.

Allnatural

Jabo's older DX7 plugin (v1.4) had a hardware T&L option, but it was considered experimental. N64 games simply don't need the boost that HTL provides. A Radeon would be a good idea anyway because the Kyro likely lacks features that Jabo's plugin needs (or has buggy drivers). The Voodoo should be well served by Dave's glide64 plugin, but that hasn't been updated in some time, and I don't know how it stands in compatibility.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Glide64 has very much compability. Probably the next-in-hand to jabo's and the others (the daedalus n' stuff) afaik.
It cannot run some games such as cbfd and perfect dark, though. And the feature of switching ucode all the time isn't there (the feature that's in jabo's newest plugin 1.5), so some games gfx may not show up. And doesn't have framebuffer support either, though, as it's slow and was removed due to that.

OP
Tagrineth

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Allnatural said:
Jabo's older DX7 plugin (v1.4) had a hardware T&L option, but it was considered experimental. N64 games simply don't need the boost that HTL provides. A Radeon would be a good idea anyway because the Kyro likely lacks features that Jabo's plugin needs (or has buggy drivers). The Voodoo should be well served by Dave's glide64 plugin, but that hasn't been updated in some time, and I don't know how it stands in compatibility.

Well, GLide64 runs fantastic for F-Zero X, at the very least. ^_^

I suppose N64 games probably just don't use enough polys to tax the CPU enough in that respect, huh?

Allnatural

Tagrineth said:
I suppose N64 games probably just don't use enough polys to tax the CPU enough in that respect, huh?
Right. Not to mention the lack of complex lighting. :)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Jabo's plugin has an internal geometry engine, so (unless you disable it, which is usually a crap idea) you can't run it on the card.. the two are clearly mutually incompatible.