What's new

Counter-Strike Question

jollyrancher

I've gotten hooked on Counter-Strike recently (late in the game, I know), but I need to know which version to get (except CZ). I've been playing 1.6 non-Steam, but the ping is terrible. Which one do you guys recomend?

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
1.6 Steam........ lol.......
Valve will deactivate the 1.5 version this week.....
If you need more quality (Image quality), you can download the Fusion Pack SE for CS1.6....

OP
J

jollyrancher

Maybe I'll try the Steam 1.6 then, it's just that I've heard such bad things about Steam. Do they or are they going to start charging by the month?

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
go steam if you have a valid HL CD key. By now, Valve has pretty much worked out all the bugs in Steam. The old WON servers will be shut down soon.

There will not be pay to play for HL1, dont worry.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Some of you older cs fans (I'm definatly not one) will be happy to hear this one. Some people apparently prefer 1.5 instead of 1.6... that could be because most of 'em probably don't have real cdkeys though, haha.

CS 1.5 Planned for Steam

A website has launched for a project called Counter-Strike 1.5 for Steam, and it is just as it sounds. A port of the previously WON-only game has been made to run on Steam:
Counter-Strike 1.5 for Steam is a basic port of Counter-Strike 1.5 off the World Opponent Network. It's considered a premeire version of the mod because of it's stability, playability, and balance. Counter-Strike 1.5 does not contain: any Steam-based updates to the game or gameplay, AWP Delay, Scout Delay, server lag problems, the shield, other nuisances ...

In addition the mod will work with any CS 1.6 for Steam addons, so you don't have to go looking for old mods to port back to the WON network when you need one. Any plugin that works with CS 1.6 will work with CS 1.5 for Steam.
Not much on the site right now as to who the team is, or what their goals are. At any rate, it's an interesting idea that serves a particular cross-section of the Counter-Stike community. What might be even more interesting is to see how the existance of this mod plays itself out over time.
From Planethalflife

- Modem

-Shadow-

Banned
Modem said:
Some of you older cs fans (I'm definatly not one) will be happy to hear this one. Some people apparently prefer 1.5 instead of 1.6... that could be because most of 'em probably don't have real cdkeys though, haha.

CS 1.5 Planned for Steam

A website has launched for a project called Counter-Strike 1.5 for Steam, and it is just as it sounds. A port of the previously WON-only game has been made to run on Steam:
Counter-Strike 1.5 for Steam is a basic port of Counter-Strike 1.5 off the World Opponent Network. It's considered a premeire version of the mod because of it's stability, playability, and balance. Counter-Strike 1.5 does not contain: any Steam-based updates to the game or gameplay, AWP Delay, Scout Delay, server lag problems, the shield, other nuisances ...

In addition the mod will work with any CS 1.6 for Steam addons, so you don't have to go looking for old mods to port back to the WON network when you need one. Any plugin that works with CS 1.6 will work with CS 1.5 for Steam.
Not much on the site right now as to who the team is, or what their goals are. At any rate, it's an interesting idea that serves a particular cross-section of the Counter-Stike community. What might be even more interesting is to see how the existance of this mod plays itself out over time.
From Planethalflife

- Modem

Ooooooooooold newz :D :D :D :D

http://www.cs.4players.de/download_update.php3?DOWNLOADID=6905&SYSTEM=PC-CDROM

jdsony

I thought 1.6 was available only through Steam. Anyway Steam is good, it's a lot more convinient than the WON version. You can change a lot of settings and servers while in game and you can alt-tab and not lose your sound yay! I never had any problems with Steam and have been using it since it started the beta. Some people have had problems with it but I think all the WON servers will be down for good in a couple days so you will have no choice.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Like I said, I don't play CS, I just saw that on planethalflife, which apparently for them, IS new. So hardy har har, I don't visit CS sites, oh well, that game sucks anyway. :p
- Modem

jdsony

Modem said:
Like I said, I don't play CS, I just saw that on planethalflife, which apparently for them, IS new. So hardy har har, I don't visit CS sites, oh well, that game sucks anyway. :p
- Modem

Just curious as to what your thoughts on why it sucks are. I like it but can understand people not liking it because of "Realism" (it's not real but based on reality with quick deaths and such), cheaters, graphics etc.