What's new

Cool!! Finally got my Thermaltake Silent Boost heatsink today!!!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Newegg finally got it shipped to the destination today, thus I'm going to now clean the processor and the outer part of the socket shortly!!!

I hope this does the trick.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
because the Zalman CNPS-7000A-AlCu is better, thats why :D
lol, best of luck with your upgrade, it seems whenever i take apart my computer i always fuck something inside it up beyond belief

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
This heatsink appears to be good quality, but at only 2.31 ghz and 1.70V, the idle temperature is 114 F degrees :(. Does anybody know what that problem is caused by?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Like I said, Silent Boost is crap. Not suited for heavy overclocking, really. It's outperformed by the fairly mid-range CoolerMaster Jet 7. Never buy a TT heatsink, at least not for your CPU.

Try putting a faster fan on the HS, it may help.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You'd notice a bigger boost in speed with more ram than overclocking your cpu as it is, 512 is not enough ;)

Before for me, Far cry: Sluggish paused all the time, after: smooth as silk.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Usually only with business applications or games that require insane amounts of bandwidth. With emulation, processor overclocking is almost always the way to go.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
RJARRRPCGP said:
This heatsink appears to be good quality, but at only 2.31 ghz and 1.70V, the idle temperature is 114 F degrees :(. Does anybody know what that problem is caused by?
who seriously rates their CPU temps in fahrenheit these days :rolleyes: . if i'm correct, this is about 45.5 C. it's at least an improvement over the default AMD...

the "problem" is the heatsink isn't that good. i don't like thermaltake too much, but i haven't seen an empircal review yet, so i should probably stop talking now :p.... also you probably didn't use very good thermal paste, you laid it on too thick, etc.

Well, I did find another compound that isn't white silicone at Bestbuy, but I dunno what it's based on exactly. The color of it is silver.
see, this doesn't sound good.

-----------------------------
thread hijack!
-----------------------------

i recently replaced my stock AMD XP1800 HSF with the Vantec Aeroflow TMD + the thinnest layer of Arctic Silver 5 i could manage, and i am *quite* happy with it.

Old temps:

68 C / 51 C on 100% load (case open)

New temps:

35 C / 41 C on 100% load (case open)
37 C / 42 C on 100% load (case closed)
and dropping

a drop in over 30 C? i nearly fell over backwards. i used folding@home to work my CPU 100%. and in case you're wondering, no, i didn't dare run my stock AMD at full load. and if i had to, i placed a room fan blowing full blast towards my case =P. even then it only took it down to 61 / 37 C.

meanwhile, my case temps are now higher than my cpu... dododo :whistling

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
RJARRRPCGP said:
Usually only with business applications or games that require insane amounts of bandwidth. With emulation, processor overclocking is almost always the way to go.
Honestly i can't stand your posts. first of all, wtf do you mean by "bandwidth" and what does it have to do with RAM at all?? i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not dumb enough to talk about network bandwidth. Even then, you could only be talking about memory bandwidth in MB/s (as opposed to frequency or latency), and this STILL doesn't make ANY SENSE because he was advising you to buy more memory, and not to clock your memory higher to increase its bandwidth. i mean WTF.

Secondly, business applications do not require "bandwidth". of any kind. what the hell are you talking about? have you ever needed to load a 512 MB excel or word document? i don't think so.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Thanks for defending my post hehe, I agree that bandwidth has nothing to do with ram or excel type things, I was merely advising him to buy more memory as I have experienced such a gain from it, really, I have... others should try it before doubting what I have to say :D

More detailed explaination from me in other similarly named thread, if you want to reply to my ram comments do it there please.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Haha, so true zAlbee. The "rocking PC wiz" has no idea wtf he's talking about 99.9% of the time. :p BTW, I also got the AeroFlow + TMD fan but for Socket478. Good little HSF, I'm quite pleased.

The only time RAM would increase your mem bandwidth would be if switching from single channel>dual channel or upping the FSB/RAM MHz. Simply adding more doesn't make it any faster than before, you just have more. Business apps requiring alot of memory bandwidth? ROFL. That's classic.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well that depends, you run one of the latest hottest games, with 512mb of ram and then with 1024mb of ram, would it run faster? yes. but not because of Mhz but because of less swap file/page file usage.

however i guess if you're just one of those people who likes windows calc, 512mb is enough, i don't see any point in overclocking unless you want to play the latest greatest games just that little bit better, from my point of view ram would help more towards that goal :)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Exactly, but I simply said it doesn't increase memory bandwidth. ;) I didn't say it doesn't make the computer run memory hooging apps faster. If done well, overclocking helps regardless of how 1337 your computer already is. A *little* better? Yeah right. Try ALOT better on a good overclock. I bet if I set my system back to completely stock, high end games I'm running right now wouldn't run half as well.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with my 2x256MB PDP PC4000 @ 466 CL 2-2-2-5, in Dual Channel. Not a skip in sight with Doom 3, on 1024x768 high settings. Far Cry has the occasional skip, but very rarely, and it isn't much noticeable.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Neat, your memory/hard drive's speed must make up for something then, just out of interest how well does UT2004 run with everything on high for you? :)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Amazingly.. not a single hitch in sight with everything on max, 1280x960x32 no AA or AF. :)

I'm quite suprised with my box to say the least. :p

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
zAlbee said:
Honestly i can't stand your posts. first of all, wtf do you mean by "bandwidth" and what does it have to do with RAM at all??

I mean by games that require insanely large textures and I cannot overclock any RAM higher than 200 mhz unless I get a nForce 2 motherboard or a Via KT880 motherboard. I probably can't go higher than 230 mhz unless I get a nForce2 motherboard and then likely a risky VDD mod. LOL.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
It's 26 hour Prime95 stable at 2.25 ghz and 1.70V.

Im going to think about gradually increasing it. Hopefully, even with the current heatsink, can get at least close to 2.3 ghz.