What's new

computer trouble

mesman00

What's that...?
i am having some trouble with one of my computers. when i turn it on, sometimes i comes up and loads everything fine. however, sometimes when it showed the nividia bios info right when turning on, it keeps flickering, and the bios keep appearing, and it keeps flickeing, and then the screen just goes blank and the little monitor light turn from green (signaling vga output) to orange (signaling no vga output). then, sometimes the little monitor light doesn't even turn green at all when turning on the computer. it shouldn't be a vid card problem becuase it happens to me with two different cards (both ti4200, one 64 mb and one 128 mb). does anyone have any idea of what might happening, or any tips. thanks.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
try booting Gentoo if this is happening with Win2k, and you can try pushing F8 before the Win2k boot animation plays, in order to select VGA Mode or Safe Mode, if this is happening with Gentoo, sorry, got nothing

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
sheik124 said:
try booting Gentoo if this is happening with Win2k, and you can try pushing F8 before the Win2k boot animation plays, in order to select VGA Mode or Safe Mode, if this is happening with Gentoo, sorry, got nothing

It's happening immediatly after he presses the power button, before he starts up an OS.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
Remote said:
Have you checked that the card is places correcectly in the agp slot?

it was the first thing i did, i really have no idea what is going on, anymore insight would be grreat, i'll have to look at it more tomorrow. thanks.

smcd

I'd suggest removing the card & checking to make sure it's clean in the connection, then reinsert it and make sure it's properly seated in the slot. After powering it back on if it still doesn't work, try using a spare video card if you have one. If the other video card still acts crazy, it might be an issue with the motherboard, otherwise it sounds like your card is going nuts.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
he already tried different vid cards.
mesman00 said:
it shouldn't be a vid card problem becuase it happens to me with two different cards (both ti4200, one 64 mb and one 128 mb).

it might be a problem with the monitor itself, perhaps a loose cable or something. try another monitor?

Flash

Technomage
mesman00 said:
i am having some trouble with one of my computers. when i turn it on, sometimes i comes up and loads everything fine. however, sometimes when it showed the nividia bios info right when turning on, it keeps flickering, and the bios keep appearing, and it keeps flickeing, and then the screen just goes blank and the little monitor light turn from green (signaling vga output) to orange (signaling no vga output). then, sometimes the little monitor light doesn't even turn green at all when turning on the computer. it shouldn't be a vid card problem becuase it happens to me with two different cards (both ti4200, one 64 mb and one 128 mb). does anyone have any idea of what might happening, or any tips. thanks.
1st - possible dust/dirt in your AGP slot, use a (dry) toothbrush to clean it.
2nd - PSU problems (not enough power)
What is written on a label of your PSU ? And post your system config here.

Get two video cards - 1st - non-GeForce AGP card (Radeon etc), 2nd - any PCI video card (even S3 Trio64) and try to boot with them - if everything is fine then maybe you have two bad GF4Ti cards.

3rd - check cables :)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
Flash said:
1st - possible dust/dirt in your AGP slot, use a (dry)
Get two video cards - 1st - non-GeForce AGP card (Radeon etc), 2nd - any PCI video card (even S3 Trio64) and try to boot with them - if everything is fine then maybe you have two bad GF4Ti cards.

doubt it, as they both work fine in my comp, i'll try the other suggestions though, thanks.