What's new

Compression for movies

Plisco

Sevillian
Ok just uploaded some vids from my digital camera, they are in .mov format and the one I want to send on to friends/family is 4.8 MB, What would be the best format to convert to reduce the filesize to less than 1.5MB, or as small as possible, and what do I need.
Gracias

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
DivX is one oif the best compression formats out there...
Yes, I've used it--it produces quite good results at video quality at a low file size :)

Cyberman

Plisco said:
Ok just uploaded some vids from my digital camera, they are in .mov format and the one I want to send on to friends/family is 4.8 MB, What would be the best format to convert to reduce the filesize to less than 1.5MB, or as small as possible, and what do I need.
Gracias
MOV format is MPEG2 encoding.

You have several options
DivX
Xvid
or MS's MPEG4 codec

It really depends on what your friends have though, if you use anything other than MS's MPEG codec then they will have to download the codecs for Xvid or DivX DivX is easier to use etc. I have noticed Xvid gets better compression however.

Cyb

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
DivX5 generally looks better than XviD at low bitrates (below 1Mbit), but beyond that XviD is usually superior.

How long is the DV .MOV in seconds? 4.8MB sounds quite small, it's probably already encoded in Sorenson - this is Apple Quicktime's MPEG-4 implementation, and it's very good. To get it down to 1.5MB using DivX5 might look bad.
Also, if it's at a resolution of 640x480 or even higher, resize it down to quarter that (320x240) - that should get you down to 1.5MB or less with ease.

WMV is also an option - but only WMP9 and other WMP9 based players can decode it. Both DivX and XviD are usable in Linux and other players like Winamp.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But if you're not serious, it shouldn't matter really about the quality. And I doubt you will get much change in size when it's this small regarding what codec you use. And you're not a gfx guru who needs the best gfx, are you? ;)

OP
Plisco

Plisco

Sevillian
All I am interested in is getting the filesize to as small as possible. So DivX seems to be mentioned alot so I will try that. Quality is at the moment 320 x 240 btw. would reducing the quality help with size in a noticable way? I don't know anything about all this:p
Thanks for all the advice though ;)

Last edited:
Plisco said:
All I am interested in is getting the filesize to as small as possible. So DivX seems to be mentioned alot so I will try that. Quality is at the moment 320 x 240 btw. would reducing the quality help with size in a noticable way? I don't know anything about all this:p
Thanks for all the advice though ;)

If you cut the video size in half, it will reduce the file size (less then half), but also cutting the audio from stereo to mono and reducing the bitrate of both video and audio will reduce the file size and reducing the framrate form 30FPS to 20FPS (or 15, but I hate 15FPS). If you reduce all, the file size may go down more then half.