What's new

Commodore 64 VICE emu problem.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
So I just started to get back to my roots with some good 'ole C64 emulating but I have a problem. After setting up my keyboard to be my joystick, none of my games respond to my button presses, well, except for one. oO Only Crystal Castles actually responds to my controls. Is this a known problem or has anybody else had the same thing happen to them? I'm looking all over the place for an answer but haven't found it yet. >< Some of the games I've tried to get to work are Tetris, Arkanoid, Dig Dug, Boulderdash, and Super Mario Bros.

Clements

I had this problem too, couldn't move in any games because the left and right directions didn't work. I tried Manic Miner and Murray Mouse.

scotty

The Great One
I found some problems with some games where you might have to type in certain letters for something to happen in the game. If you use these; then you might have to make sure you dont use them, dont use enter or shift buttons for anything, if you are not sure

Examples of some games to watch and some buttons you push. Spelunker (d, space), Ghostbusters (b), Labyrinth(Lucasfilm) (space bar, enter, all letters), Tau-ceti (all letters), Tai-Pan (enter), Raid over Moscow (I forget the button), Swiss Family Robinson, all leters, enter, space).

EDIT: I think Vice is still the best Commodore emulator

scotty

The Great One
I use the arrows, they are the least interferent, I then try to find something near those arrows and usually its the end or page down button.

Labyrinth is my favorite of those (I worship all Lucasfilm games with SCUMM, although Labyrinth is pre-SCUMM). I have some weird games.

Oh I forgot to mention, if you have 2 joysticks plugged in, the emulator will think that it is plugged in, and it takes priority for the keyboard letters. Games by A.C.G. (Ultimate play the game) have joystick use, but uses other keys to change action, sometimes the other joystick will be assumed as changing action.