What's new

Can't get Dolphin to play anything.

NewN64

Dolphin = slow. :(

When I try to play a game, the START of the emulation runs fairly smooth-like. But once it gets to the intro of the game, it's slow as I don't know what.

Here's some extra info about my PC:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Windows XP Professional SP3 (Build 2600)

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 1 Cores - 1 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.F.2 / Extended : F.5F
CPU Cache : L1 : 64 / 64 KB - L2 : 512 KB
Core : Orleans (90 nm) / Stepping : DH-F2
Freq : 2210.04 MHz (200.91 * 11)
MB Brand : Acer
MB Model : EM61SM/EM61PM
NB : NVIDIA MCP61 rev A2
SB : NVIDIA MCP61 rev A2
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
DirectX Version : 9.0c
RAM : 512 MB DDR2 Single Channel
RAM Speed : 245.6 MHz (Unknown) @ 4-4-4-12
Slot 1 : 512MB (4300)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Apacer Technology

Can somebody PLEASEEEE help me?

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
It's good that you posted your specs. Your system (CPU in-particular) is a bit skimpy for Gamecube emulation. Dual-channel RAM also wouldn't hurt, and I'm not sure how well that GPU would fare for full-speed Gamecube emulation.

OP
N

NewN64

Could you point me in the direction to any guides of how to install Dual-channel RAM, and as for the Graphics / CPU, it's been fairly well for ALL other emulators (PSX, PS2, GBC/GB/GBA, N64), it's just the GC emulator that has problems. My thought was that because Dolphin was in a BETA-type stage, that maybe it's not able to go all out yet. But, maybe that's just because I take things into first perspectives too much.

Toasty

Sony battery
The Gamecube is a much more powerful system than an N64. Emulating it requires a much more powerful system as well. Dual-channel RAM on its own probably isn't going to have a significant effect without a fast, multi-core CPU paired up with it.

GCFreak

My dual-core (Athlon X2 5200+ AM2), 4GB dual-channel RAM machine with two NVIDIA GeForce 8500GTs cannot emulate GameCube games at full speed consistently (although it is pretty damn close). You need something more powerful to get it always full speed...

Why mention that you have two 8500's? Dolphin hardly takes advantage of one video card, there is no point in mentioning two cards as if it had something to do with it.

Your processor is just not fast enough, and his, his is just not gong to cut it for the majority of games anyway.

Last edited:

rodzandz

Here's some extra info about my PC:

Windows XP Professional SP3
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2210.04 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6100
512 MB DDR2 Single Channel

Wow Kid, that looks like the setup I had almost 10 years ago.... :doh:
In fact, I remember my old system had about double the ram.

You really DO need to upgrade if you want to reach any partially playable speeds in Dolphin. With only 512MB of ram I'm actually surprised that the emulator even runs.
Windows XP alone munches about half of that if not more.

What I don't understand is; how is it possible that you say you can run the PS2 emulator at playable speed? PCSX2 is just as resource intensive as Dolphin. Did you just throw that in there? ;)