What's new

Can You Help Me!!!

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
I really want to create a basic emulator then work up. Though the thing is I just dont know how. Yeah I know abit a C++ and I know almost everything about aplication dev on VB. But I really wnt to know how to create an emulaotr. I know the CHIP8 quite well. I studied the docs of them or about half an hour and I know how the memory, addresses and graphics work and thats it but I really need help. I have searched and searched the internet for basic tutorials on ALL programming languages but it seems that noone ever wants o reate a programming tutorial on emulation what wrong with it. So if either some one could give me a basic step by step guide, or a link to a site that givestutorials.
Also would emudev (http://www.emudev.com) be any good at helping with me at this it is built by NGEMU and has been under construction since last year.

vleespet

The decent one
If you know (almost) everything about VB, why don't you try creating a Chip8-emu in vb? Some older systems are running pretty fine in VB.

Last edited:
OP
sammyboy

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
Thats the thing I only really know application development... I dont know how you do graphics devng and stuff.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
There are functions in VB to get and change the color of individual pixels in a form - that should help you. It's been years since I used VB, so I can't tell you what they are anymore. :p

aprentice

sammyboy said:
Thats the thing I only really know application development... I dont know how you do graphics devng and stuff.

Sammyboy, you might not like what im about to say, but its good advice.
Stay away from emulation programming, you barely even comprehend the basic fundamentals of programming, regardless of what you think.

Last edited:

vleespet

The decent one
I do agree with Aprentice. First go learn programming for at least 1 year, learn graphics programming, and learn the C++ tutorial on www.cplusplus.com by heart, then reconsider programming a Chip8 emu.

BTW. To the others: note that he's just a 13 year old guy, and 90% of you were like that, so don't yell him down, because someone with such a good commitment at that age can definitly learn c++ :)

OP
sammyboy

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
vleespet said:
I do agree with Aprentice. First go learn programming for at least 1 year, learn graphics programming, and learn the C++ tutorial on www.cplusplus.com by heart, then reconsider programming a Chip8 emu.

BTW. To the others: note that he's just a 13 year old guy, and 90% of you were like that, so don't yell him down, because someone with such a good commitment at that age can definitly learn c++ :)

Yay thats one of the nices things someones said about me (even though it was indirect). Well not the nicest thing... but maybe on this forums. BTW - Is it really impossible to create an next gen emulator in VB because I know it doesnt have the XOR functions but thats not ALL that is needed. Oh yeah visual c+++ sucks I tried that tutorial on cplusplus.com and done that Hello world tutorial and Visual Studio couldnt compile it so when I used a set template thingy onit the coding was completely different for the hello world program it used printf's and stuff and instead of using <iostrem.h> it used something like <stdr.h> or something like that anyways.

bjz

sammyboy said:
I know the CHIP8 quite well. I studied the docs of them or about half an hour and I know how the memory, addresses and graphics work.

I seriously doubt you know the chip 8 all that well after looking at docs for a half hour. rofl

OP
sammyboy

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
I am a quick learner.... the way I do it is by rewriting the docs whilst I am going along. Doesnt matter gotta learn c++ now anyways... have several probs already... like when you do the hello world project (finially got working... used console project functiomn (learning already)) it only seems to stay up for a bit plis I dont know hoe to compile the programs to your PC.

rcgamer

the old guy
to run the hello world program (and others that use command prompt) you need to run them from your command prompt, start-all programs-accessories-command prompt. type in chdir and whatever the path is to your program. the compiled files should be in your my documents-visual studio projects-whatever the title you gave the project-debug.

hope it helps you a little.

Trotterwatch

If it only stays up for a small while it's because you need to add a little bit of code to keep the window open cin.get(); before the return 0; statement. At least that is what I understand needs doing when the code is such as it is.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
its possible, within a week of me starting to use VC++, i was working on a chip8 emu (used the tutorial on cplusplus.com its fookin brilliant!) read the docs, got someone to explain how emulation works and boof i was away, now ive got a fully functional chip8 emulator, in dos mind lol :)

just need to learn how to use windows api stuff now and then im sorted!

Slougi

sammyboy said:
Yay thats one of the nices things someones said about me (even though it was indirect). Well not the nicest thing... but maybe on this forums. BTW - Is it really impossible to create an next gen emulator in VB because I know it doesnt have the XOR functions but thats not ALL that is needed. Oh yeah visual c+++ sucks I tried that tutorial on cplusplus.com and done that Hello world tutorial and Visual Studio couldnt compile it so when I used a set template thingy onit the coding was completely different for the hello world program it used printf's and stuff and instead of using <iostrem.h> it used something like <stdr.h> or something like that anyways.
It's stdio.h, part of the standard C library. The printf functions are used mostly in C, but of course they work in C++ as well. iostream is part of the C++ STL afaik. How do you propose writing a chip8 emulator if you don't even understand a basic hello world program? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just stating the facts. Learn some C/C++ type language properly first, then try again.

Last edited:
OP
sammyboy

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
Slougi said:
It's stdio.h, part of the standard C library. The printf functions are used mostly in C, but of course they work in C++ as well. iostream is part of the C++ STL afaik. How do you propose writing a chip8 emulator if you don't even understand a basic hello world program? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just stating the facts. Learn some C/C++ type language properly first, then try again.

OK then how comes when I use this code it doesnt work

//A Simple Hello World Program

#include <iostream.h>

int main ()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}
the screen only flashed up for about 0000000.2 seconds and I cant even print screeen it. :eek:

when Visual C++ only lets this work...

//A simple Hello World Program
//

#include "stdafx.h"

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
printf("Hello World!\n");
return 0;
}

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
because you have nothign to stop it, if you ran the program in dos it would work fine.

put a cin >> command before the return 0; and it should wait for you to press a key

infact about 4 posts up your answer was given

If it only stays up for a small while it's because you need to add a little bit of code to keep the window open cin.get(); before the return 0; statement. At least that is what I understand needs doing when the code is such as it is.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Lol yeah it actually seems to me you need a little more c++ knowledge :p
And don't come saying it sucks, because all (I mean ALL... well almost) major applications (and games) are written in C or C++. :bounce:
But there IS you know a programming forum where you can post any questions you've got.

Oh and BTW, there is the XOR command is VB. So you see, xor is possible in VB ;) I just think shifting isn't available. But using multiplication or division, that is also possible.