What's new

c++.NET help

mesman00

What's that...?
alright, i need some freaking help, as i am going nuts. I've never used C++.NET before, and now at work they tell me that i need to write this program in .NET instead of good old C++ which has never done anyone wrong. (can you tell I already hate .NET just from a few hours of using it). anways, i have a solution that has many different projects in it (each project is a seperate library that is needed, and each library is its own project). the projects can interact fine with on another (i.e. each library can use the methods of other libraries, and are allowed to include header files from outside libraries), using each others header files without problem. however, i have created my own project and added it to the solution (windows forms application) and am trying to include a header file from another project, and it is refusing to let me do so. It keeps giving my the following error:

Code:
tohtml.cpp(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'dsrdoc.h': No such file or directory

help, im going nuts. thanks.

smcd

Make sure the compiler "knows where to find" the file (is it in the proper /include/ directory from the compiler's default install, or in a local directory path?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The only thing that can cause this error is that the compiler simply does not find the include file. You can right-click the project and select properties. Then goto compiler->advanced and select "show includes." It should show you the path it's try to find it hopefully.

Oh and btw, you just hate NET because you're not used to it ;)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
hmm, i right click on the project file and go to properties, but there isn't a compiler option that i can find. i see the following folders to select options from on the left hand side of the properties window:
C/C++, Linker, Resources, Managed Resource, Browse Information, Build Events, Custom Build Setup, Web Deployment. Any Ideas? By the way the exact version number i'm using is Version 7.1.3008. I included this because maybe you have a slightly different version and the option may be located somewhere else for me. Let me know if you come up with anything.

GbaGuy

Perhaps it's:

Project menu -> Settings -> C++ Tab -> Select "Preprocessor" under
Catagories, and there's a textbox that says "Additional Include directories:"

Hope it helps,
- GbaGuy

EDIT: I'm still on version 6, don't know how different the new one is...

Doomulation

mesman00 said:
hmm, i right click on the project file and go to properties, but there isn't a compiler option that i can find. i see the following folders to select options from on the left hand side of the properties window:
C/C++, Linker, Resources, Managed Resource, Browse Information, Build Events, Custom Build Setup, Web Deployment. Any Ideas? By the way the exact version number i'm using is Version 7.1.3008. I included this because maybe you have a slightly different version and the option may be located somewhere else for me. Let me know if you come up with anything.
If I remember correctly, it's under the C/C++ tab. You'll see lots of options, like optimization and stuff. There's the "advanced options" tab also. Clicking on that, you'll see some options such as the calling convention to use and the one I told you about.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok after messing around for a couple HOURS and looking in the other project's properties i've managed to figure everything out. and i retract my previous statement, now that i'm actually using it .NET doesn't seem to be so bad after all.
/me likes not writing 200 lines of code to create a window.

Doomulation

It isn't so bad, now is it hehe? :p Most just say that because they're not used to NET.
So, what was the problem? :huh:

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
it's actually rather stupid. but if you insist, under C/C++->Additional Include Directories i needed to list all the directories where the include files i wanted to use were located. I figured since they were already apart of the same solution it wouldn't matter, guess i was wrong. Also, i was missing a few libraries from the Linker->Additional Dependencies. Stupid stuff huh? But anyways, on to my new problem. Read my "Debug Assertion Failed Thread."