What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Bump-/Normal-Mapping - is it possible?

mode7

I ever wondered, that if it was possible to replace textures in the game with another resolution, wouldn't it be possible to just add a bump map (or even better a normal map) to it.
I guess it's not so easy after all cause nobody has done it yet and I guess (but I just don't know) it has to do something with the way light is calculated. Maybe every game does it different - could somebody give me a bit of insight here?
It would still be awesome and could lift realism based retexturing to a whole new level. If someone ever played Quake with Tenebrae and hirez textures, they would know what I mean!

Cyberman

I'll keep this simple... I had started with a long explaination however the message I decided would need to be 2 or 3.
It is doable, it's just rediculously hard and would require NEW video plugins that were MUCH more complicated than the current ones. Also a LOT of work. In other words if you expect to be able to do something like that in a couple of weeks, you have no idea what you are thinking. If weeks were years that is more likely the scenario. There simply is not enough time to do that as a hobby adding more people won't help either (parallelism is only useful for repetitive problem solving not unique and new ones).

Read this if you ignore everything else, NO it's not something you should consider, unless you have free time for a whole year and nothing better to do (trust me I would be tired of it in a heartbeat).

Cyb

OP
mode7

mode7

OK, I thought it was something like that - thanks for the explanation!

Doommarine23

Zelda Texture Editor
Fake ones could be done on the texture using lighting effects. I seen it done with halo textures. But I'll be honest, I doubt it would look good on an old system/on such low poly models, and I doubt on 32x32 textures that most N64 games have it would look good. (Sure, you could size it like 1-4x but halo's is 512)

mudlord

Banned
Yes, and how exactly will we get those light values?
You are seriously talking hardcore hacking there, and Cyb's right, it will take a while....Unless you want to mess with how lights are processed on a ucode level in the plugin.....And I don't want to mess around with such low level things just for a cheap thrill.

If you want to write a normal mapping shader that doesn't use uniforms from the plugin for light values, than be my guest. :borg: The support is all there....Though, be prepared to for some work. It won't be easy.

Though I might make it a little easier for you: Look at Zodav's GLSL implementation of bump mapping and bloom for Pete's plugin.

Last edited:

Doommarine23

Zelda Texture Editor
Yes, and how exactly will we get those light values?
You are seriously talking hardcore hacking there, and Cyb's right, it will take a while....Unless you want to mess with how lights are processed on a ucode level in the plugin.....And I don't want to mess around with such low level things just for a cheap thrill.

If you want to write a normal mapping shader that doesn't use uniforms from the plugin for light values, than be my guest. :borg: The support is all there....Though, be prepared to for some work. It won't be easy.

Though I might make it a little easier for you: Look at Zodav's GLSL implementation of bump mapping and bloom for Pete's plugin.

I mean on the texture it self just using a lighting effect in a program like paint shop pro. Not Lighting Lighting