What's new

Building a HTPC, does this videocard fit the recomended specs?

talker

Hi,
As the title says, I'm about to build myself a pretty easy and cheap HTPC, and my question is; Will a ATI Radeon HD 4200 intergraded videocard do the work for running of Project 64 without alot of these "typical" onboard videocard errors?

As you assume (or going to :p), I'm going for the default settings in Project 64.
Or should I go for another video plugin combined with Project 64?

The games that I'm going to play are:
- Super Mario 64
- Both Zelda games
- Both Banjo Kazooie games
- Mario Kart
- Mario Party (all of them)
and at last, Yoshi Story

This videocard is combined with a ASUS M4A785T-M motherboard, and I'm also buying 4 Gb of RAM and a AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU with the clockspeed 3,0 Ghz.

I'm looking forward to some great answers.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
sounds great

with the video card you should stop geting onboard errors

i would recommend using glide64 plugin for hirez textures

OP
talker

talker

I've never understood how to set up glide64 for proper use. Might be my lack of understanding the technical terms in english (my mother language is Norwegian, maybe a good excuse).

But do any of you guys that still hangs around on this forum have some experience with adding the Project 64 into XBMC?

Edit: XBMC as of the Win32 edition, not the one at the actual Xbox.

Last edited:

X-Fi6

sounds great

with the video card you should stop geting onboard errors

i would recommend using glide64 plugin for hirez textures
It's an integrated Radeon HD 4200, mate.
Will a ATI Radeon HD 4200 intergraded videocard do the work
This videocard is combined with a ASUS M4A785T-M motherboard
If you don't do real PC gaming (e.g. the latest CoDs, Crysis...) then it's better to use good onboard video like a Radeon 4xxxx to save electricity, run cooler, and be quieter. You won't have any problems unless you want to retexture or run at a high resolution. If you need extra performance, you can turn off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering and the like and use Zilmar's HLE Audio with Hacktarux's RSP plugin that comes with the latest Mupen64plus for Windows instead of using Jabo's slower LLE plugin.

So to answer your question, yup, it can easily get full speed in nearly all games. The board you picked out isn't too attractive, though, because ASUS decided to wring everyone's neck by using VIA onboard audio on nearly all their AM3 boards.

You'll enjoy the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H better.

Last edited:
OP
talker

talker

Thanks for great responses.

X-Fi6 :
Do the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, Socket-AM3 motherboard use alot more W? Because I chose a quiet PSU at 550W (Chieftec Smart Series 550W PSU). It would be sad if I couldn't get the HTPC up and running if I chose a PSU that were to small.

Toasty

Sony battery
If you're only using integrated graphics a 550W power supply should be more than adequate.

The HTPC I built a few years ago only had a 380W power supply - and it actually had a discrete graphics card in it. (Nothing too powerful, but you get the idea.)

Last edited: