What's new

BIOS Settings

eXentric

There is no spoon.
I have read the FAQ:

Q: Every time I try to run Chankast the bios asks me to configure the date and time without stopping, is there a way to fix this?
A: Each time you change any bios settings, chankast modifies the bios files. It seems that the emulator has a bug that makes it corrupt the bios and as a result you may have this problem. So in order to fix this problem you have to replace the two modified bios files inside the chankast directory (dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin) with bios files that were not used by the emulator.

and

Q: Every time I try to run a game the bios keeps reseting itself, how do I fix this?
A: You have to use the Europian bios in order to fix this problem. The Europian bios shows a blue swirl when it boots but the US-Japanese show a red swirl.

I am almost positive I have the european BIOS. It swirls blue instead of red. I have also replaced with a fresh dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin and I still cannot get it to save my language settings or date and time. I also notice that the timestamp on the two bin files does not appear to change, contrary to what the FAQ says (that it modifies them).

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this known or is there a work-around? I am on .25 Alpha BTW.

Thanks,

eXe

STC-Fan

Dollop.
I have the same problems. For me, Chankast does not save any settings that are changed in the DC's BIOS (language, clock, etc.) and some of the graphics settings, e.g. the "stats" in the bottom left-hand corner of the main window, are always turned back on if I turn them off and then exit the game. Perhaps there is some "save" button to keep all these changes lying around somewhere, but tucked away somewhere in the program... other than that, I'd assume these are just small bugs that will be ironed out in a future release.

Whirlinurd

Hi, see if your dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin are not read-only. Set the system time in the configuration screen. Return to the main screen and then exit Chankast. Set dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin to read-only. Remember Chankast doesn't keep the system time updated because when you exit Chankast it stops counting.

Don't know if the above works but you can try. Use a new fresh bios because when your Chankast behaves like this it can be saved probably.

This is what I noticed using Chankast:

- The original (googled) spanish bios seems to get corrupt.
- Always set your dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin to read-only flags.
- It's a problem with current version of Chankast that bios's getting corrupt.
- Keep your original unmodified bios backuped if you want to use it again later.

Anyways when I fresh install Chankast, add PAL (Blue Swirl) Europe BIOS and set it to read-only it keeps working allright.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
E

eXentric

There is no spoon.
Well, I can try setting the read-only flag, but wouldn't that only help if I didn't want them overwritten a second time? My problem is that they're never updated. I can see that the date modified is 3/15/2004 and 4/1/2004 respectively and I have run the emulator multiple times.

Thanks for the suggestion though... :(

gamermasterwiz

um.. wats a dc_bin thing i don't know where it is and i dont know where to run it thats actually my problem to it cand read dc_bios.bin and it easily exits right away after the mesage appears

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
The dc_bios.bin and the dc_flash.bin are both BIOS files from an actual Dreamcast. You will need both of them to run this emulator. Don't ask where or how to get them, since that's prohibited discussion. Just try to find them or you won't be going anywhere with Chankast.