What's new

Be carefull buying games

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, so heres the story. My brother bought me HL2 for my birthday today. Now we all know Steam has a strict actvation policy for this game. Well I broke the seal and opened the game and the CD's were all in disarray. Some of them were half out of their sleeves and one of them was completely out of the sleeve. Ok so this kinda made me concerned, I proceeded to check out the CDs and sure enough 3 of them were scratched, one of which had a perfect circular scratch. Now we all know that circular scratches only occur when you eject a CD from the drive while its still spinning. Obviously the game had been opened, of course I didn't even bother installing it, I popped it back in the box and headed up to the store. I'd be willing to bet that if I had installed, the CD key wouldn't have worked. Its a shame people will be so thoughtless as to buy a game, open it carfully, use it and then return it. They only hurt other people who just want to play the game lawfully.

smcd

Yeah, though I hate Steam to death, if you're going to get HL2, it'd probably be best to order it online since you have to activate it anyhow. You're guaranteed a good key (you never even see it, it just goes to your account), just don't get your account banned or "hacked."

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Well I've been thinking of suggesting to Valve the full title should've been "Half-Life 2: You're Not Missing Much" or "Half-Life 2: Overrated Edition". Then there's the current steampowered-forum favourites; "Half-Assed 2" and "Half-Life 2: Extended Beta Test".
Give them another year or so before trying it yet and perhaps you'll avoid disappointment. ;)

Martin

Administrator
Happy birthday! :D

HL2 is an excellent game, no question about it, but the activation policy has done more harm than good. The idea was good I guess, but only in theory.

Jakob

evil *******
In theory lots of things work, but only if you ignore reality, they should have known better.