What's new

Be careful what you eat.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Yes, theres "things" in our food, i think we got that by now - only problem is most people blow them way out of perportion, take salt for example... mcdonalds used to have a lot more of it on their food as I remember it tasting a hell of a lot better when I was younger, it pisses me off that people who go on about health have to constantly make things bland and tasteless.

Thats not all, pretty much a large percentage of foods are now governed by this crap, low salt low fat... please... my mother and father are about 50 now and they've ate it all their lives, and my grans are now past 70 and they were far worse with Fat and Salt. I refuse to believe this nonsense about Salt and Fat in foods being too high, its a load of f**king hogwash.

I for one don't go to fast food places to eat healthily for a start so I don't want to be given healthy food, I just want a burger dripping with fat and with loads of salt - is that so much to ask?!

Maybe i'm blowing this out of context but I genuinely believe that people who take all this crap too seriously should be shot at dawn. or seperated from the main population so they can eat all the healthy foods they want ;)

As for organic, don't get me started on organic... wow foods that are identical to those that are not organic and double the price, with bugs and all... I seriously doubt you feel any better soley on the basis of just eating that alone. Pestisides are put in things to make them not go off as quick, I feel plenty fine on eating things that aren't organic, in fact i've never felt better in my life. so I challenge that claim. and I eat nothing but fat and crap. I've even ate an organic banana before, I didn't see the big deal - it didn't taste any different to me.

Well my main argument here is I'm fine with people eating healthily really, I just wish that all my favourite foods weren't subject to change because of it. I'm pretty much of the opinion that I should be able to eat like a fat slob without people cramming it down my throat that its unhealthy. Ignorance is bliss.

I feel more strongly on this subject than most hence the rant. There is always two sides to every argument anyway and mine is the against (obviously) :)

I am more concerned with what mobile phones do to our brains than what food does to my stomach, if the food was really that bad we'd all be extinct by now.

Last edited:
OP
Bighead

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
you make it sound like im trying to be a health activist. nah, i am not that much of a health nut. its not like I have a bowl of carrots in the morning instead of sugary cereal. i eat greasy food all week, the dripping grease just makes it all the better. that doesn't concern me.

organic food is food that contains no additives: pesticides, growth inducing hormones, carbon monoxide, etc... think about young girls growing hair and developing boobs at such young ages. although it is nice, it is from the junk they put in cows to make em grow fat. pesticides cause cancer, carbon monoxide alters your bodies genes.. an organic burger will still have grease.

im not a bunny petting health nut, i just like to be aware of the crap that's in our food. i love my greasy pizza topped with extra everything and my salty fries that will cause my future heart attack. it's everything else that we should avoid. fat can be burned, but cancer and deformations are a little harder to fix. go ahead and park your car into the garage, and let the carbon monoxide from the gas pipe fill your house. would you put hamburger up to your tailpipe to keep it red a few more days?

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
well its not you really, its just all these food ads lately about salt, and jamie oliver in the past showing you whats in a chicken nugget, and lately its "whats in your christmas dinner" - I just think enough is enough, and thats when I start to rant because things just bother me... perfectly good place to vent :p

In short I hate goddamn food activists :p - on to the other thing, I do not really approve of carbon monoxide but companies have always done things like this to our products, used tricks to fool us, like filling our bacon with water to make it heavier, its just another one of those ways that companys like to cheapskate on.

Problem is though, unless there is proof that a significant amount of eating this meat is dangerous (carbon monoxide thing) - i.e. you eat it every day for years. they won't stop doing it.

There is a difference to filling your house with massive quantities of the gas and tiny amounts to make a bit of meat red and chances are the gas is gone by the time its packed and cooked anyway. if it wasn't why would they be allowed to sell it?

Pesticides, well they keep food longer, and there are pros and cons to both veggies (among other things) with and without it, its mainly the cost of which that puts most people off buying organic.

Last thing, anti-biotics are not food so why is it listed in this thread? :p

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Life is too short and hard to worry about this bull. Stay away from any nobrainers and you will be fine. Live life to the fullest. Why live to be 90 or 100 when you can live to be 70 or 80 and die happy? Will those extra 20 years really seem so special when everyone (including your children) die before you while you strain daily to remain active and not break a hip? Don't believe you only live once. What loving God would give you one chance before condemnation? This gets into religious beliefs and I will refrain from those arguments. There are too many lurking fish people swarming like piranah. So what's the point of living extra long unless you are trying to earn your way into Heaven? :rolleyes:

Cheers! JMO.

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
That was beautiful Azimer, that really opened up my eyes. You guys are right, I guess being too concerned about something so mediocre may just end up being a waste of time. Now that I think about it,I don't want to live past 70, then you can't do anything anymore except watch TV and pray for God to take you. My great grandma is still alive and she is 93.... and she asks my grandma (her daughter) why won't God just let me die? Sad to hear that, but I can understand why she would feel that way. It's sad watching her walk around, and I guess being to health conscoius will only lead us up to that point. I don't fear my chances at heaven, from now on a new Bighead is born from this day on.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Will those extra 20 years really seem so special when everyone (including your children) die before you while you strain daily to remain active and not break a hip?
Well, if you ask me... if i'm just an biological entity void of a soul as science teaches us, then yeah... those 20 'extra' years are a hell of alot better than not existing at all!

Don't believe you only live once. What loving God would give you one chance before condemnation?
Maybe a God that dosent exist? I'm sure one that dosent exist wouldn't give a flying fuck if we live only once.

I'm no health nut, infact a gorge myself on fatty foods whenever i can... but what we eat has a direct relationship with how well our body works (or so i'm told)... when i was poor and on my own, all I ate was microwaveable noodles for like a month... believe me, you start to notice that your body isnt working as well as it should.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well Tye Stik we'll see if you feel that way when you're seventy, when you won't be able to get around as well and slowly become more and more useless to the point where you become like you were when you were at an early age unable to take care of yourself... yeah thats the life of an old person, plus the risk of going senile and being put in a home... what a lovely way to live your life.

Unless you're extremely lucky thats what you have to look forward to matey! I don't believe in an afterlife either but i'll be damned if i'm going to live to the days where I will literally suffer.

Allnatural

ScottJC said:
we'll see if you feel that way when you're seventy, when you won't be able to get around as well and slowly become more and more useless to the point where you become like you were when you were at an early age unable to take care of yourself... yeah thats the life of an old person
Your over-generalization borders on cliché.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Yeah I know it sounded a bit single-minded, but a lot of that can happen to you as you get older, to me included, not nessicarily at 70 though... there are plenty 70 year olds that can get about and are not senile.

Problem is though i've heard my grans say they want to die loads of times so this leads me to believe even though they CAN get about - if they are saying things like that their lives can't be that bloody great.

I pretty much believe we aren't even supposed to live that long, we're not meant to get old but thats pretty much debateable and not on topic - i'm/we're way off topic here :p - i'll say one last thing about it though, none of us can know what its like to be old until we actually get there.

cliché is my middle name baby.

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Bighead said:
organic food is food that contains no additives: pesticides, growth inducing hormones, carbon monoxide, etc... think about young girls growing hair and developing boobs at such young ages. although it is nice, it is from the junk they put in cows to make em grow fat.
i hear this a lot, haven't seen it proved yet.

Bighead said:
pesticides cause cancer, carbon monoxide alters your bodies genes..
what the hell? do you know anything about toxicology? pesticides have effects on your central and peripheral nervous system (it's meant to kill insects remember?). you have more important things to worry about. if you ever reach a high enough dose to be toxic, you'll realize it, and this will be long before it is a sufficient dose to cause cancer. secondly, wtf? CO is a gas, it doesn't bind to your genes.

your cells have mechanisms to protect against mutations/cancer. it's not until they are exhausted/depleted that shit happens. which is why this kind of stuff doesn't concern me. wash your veggies and meat before you cook and you'll be fine. i love fatty foods as well, but i don't eat mcdonald's two days in a row ;)

WhiteX

Health is good, so is beer...
If you go around eating veggies all the time, cares about your free radicals and all that...Congrats you will live till your intestines grow a mind of their own and stop listening to yours BUT it will take forever to happen and you will live healthy till that.
If you never cared about that and drinks, smokes and eat all kinds of crap...it´s not some pesticides that will kill´ya, right ;)

bcrew1375

I don't restrict myself. I eat what I want, when I want. Heck, I eat something from McDonald's just about everyday. I have yet to see any ill effects. In fact, I actually lost about 10 pounds over the course of a week eating pretty much nothing but McDonald's :p. I'm more concerned about smoking, drugs and drinking killing me before what I eat does. That's why I don't do any of them :). I am proud to say I've never puffed a cigarette or did any drugs in my life. Though I can't stand the taste of it now, I used to secretly drink alcohol with my grandpa when I was 6 :p. Heck, I don't even drink on New Years.

Clements

zAlbee said:
secondly, wtf? CO is a gas, it doesn't bind to your genes.

Free Radicals can cause DNA damage, which are reactive oxygen species. Free Radicals are produced in normal metabolic reactions, so there is no escaping these.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Clements said:
Free Radicals can cause DNA damage, which are reactive oxygen species. Free Radicals are produced in normal metabolic reactions, so there is no escaping these.
I am pretty certain CO is not a free radical. Maybe CO induces free radicals to form, I don't know. But it doesn't bind DNA last time I checked; it binds hemoglobin.

And there are also reducing mechanisms that counteract free radicals....

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
Amusing my simple post turned into such a debate. From what I know (or don't know), CO is not a free radical. What I do know is, carbon monoxide attatches itself to the hemoglobin molecules in the red blood cells of your body. This causes your body to suffer from a lack of oxygen. I may have put it incorrectly by saying "altering genes". Smoking ciggarettes contains high amounts of carbon monoxide. If you notice, most people that are old that smoked for decades, are usually not all that intelligent (there are exceptions), if they haven't died from lung cancer (which I know, CO does not cause cancer). Along with the large amount we inhale from car exhaust fumes. It really sucks if you live in a big, cloudy city. When it snows in Anchorage for days, you actually get dizzy from being outside too long. CO is found in the fumes of almost everything that is burned, so we are exposed to it here as well. When it enters our bodies, it doesn't just pack up and leave anytime soon. Over the course of our lives, we are constantly exposed to it. Lack of oxygen in our bodies can damage the brain, the heart, the whole body, even if it doesn't kill us. Oxygen makes up 90% of our energy, the mere 10% comes from food and drink. Putting it in our food is just disgusting. Is it really worth it eating it, to keep meat red just a little bit longer, when the meat is really starting to spoil? So not only do we get a small meal of CO, we get to enjoy the bacteria that grew as well. It may not be a huge issue to our health, but it's definitely a contributing factor. I'm not gonna eat ordinary supermarket meat if I can help it. I will from time to time if I have to, or if it's the only thing available. Organic meat (no preservatives, additives) tastes just as good if not better, and I know when it's "really" going bad.

As for growth inducing hormones, it's still controversial. I prefer to not eat meat that has been exposed to them just for the plain fact it's unnatural. It may be safe, it may not be. Because of the lack of evidence, this is a point that I will not argue.
Hormones: Here's the Beef

Preservatives are a whole another debate. An interesting fact on that is less and less embalming fluid is needed to preserve our dead bodies. (not spoken in below link, but true fact). Preservatives only reduce the nutritional value of food, and additives can actually cause serious health problems.
Preservatives & Additives

Crap in our food "used" to not be a concern before the late 90's. But now that more and more additives are present in more and more foods, it actually is "starting" to become a concern. The FDA thinks nothing of poisoning us to make a quick buck, or they wouldn't approve these additives, or medications that cause serious and permanent side effects. I don't want to live forever, I just dont' want to be in my mid 40's with a "serious" problem that could have been avoided by not eating all that junk. The "ingredients" on the box of Eggo waffles are a good example. Do we really need all that just to have a great tasting waffle? A quick recipe and a waffle iron will give us a better waffle, with just a little more effort into cooking it. I'm not a food activist, I am just passionate enough to let people know that it's an increasing problem, and can really mess us up in the long run. "You are what you eat", and I wouldn't like to consider myself monosodium glutamate, diethylaminoethenal, or trisodium nitrilotriacetate. Do those even have a correct pronunciation?
Go ahead, eat it all.

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
>.<

Look, I don't mean to embarass you, but most of what you've posted doesn't make any sense.

You make a statement like "[carbon monoxide] doesn't just pack up and leave anytime soon" without any proof. You probably didn't know this, but toxicity depends on absorption, distribution, and elimination. Not all chemicals are equal when it comes to elimination; some accumulate for a long time, some are eliminated very quickly. Why would you assume that CO never exits the body?? When I said it binds to hemoglobin, I didn't say it binds permanently. The site that CO binds is the same site that O2 (oxygen) binds -- they compete for the same location. Secondly the purpose of hemoglobin is not to bind O2 forever. It binds in high concentration of oxygen (the lungs) and releases in low concentration (tissue). The entire nature of this means that the binding is reversible (it is NOT covalent binding). A high level of oxygen will displace the carbon monoxide, and vice-versa. That is, the "antidote" to carbon monoxide poisoning is to get fresh air. You will breathe it out.

Cigarette smoke contains many chemicals that contribute to cancer. It is an error to suggest that CO actually causes all those things.

The toxic effects of CO are pretty much the same as the effects of lack of oxygen - ie. dizziness, weakness, and eventually death. CO also binds to heme in Cytochrome P450, and inhibits it, but I doubt this is as important.

It is ridiculous to think that a small amount of CO in food can accumulate in any kind of meaningful way. IT IS A GAS, IT IS VOLATILE, IT ESCAPES, IT IS DISPLACED BY OXYGEN, IT EVEN TURNS INTO CO2!! AGRH.

Bighead said:
Lack of oxygen in our bodies can damage the brain, the heart, the whole body, even if it doesn't kill us. Oxygen makes up 90% of our energy, the mere 10% comes from food and drink.
I think you are confused. Oxygen doesn't give you any energy at all. Energy is obtained from glucose, as well as anything else that can break down into glucose, or its derivative pyruvate. Oxygen only allows your cells to undergo aerobic respiration, which increases the amount of energy that can be produced from one pyruvate by about 10 times. If you are interested in the mechanism: oxygen is the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain.

"You are what you eat", and I wouldn't like to consider myself monosodium glutamate, diethylaminoethenal, or trisodium nitrilotriacetate. Do those even have a correct pronunciation?
This is not even an argument!! I don't want to consider myself a tomato, maybe I shouldn't eat that? Leave the figure of speech as what it is, a metaphor. Side note: MSG is awesome.

I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculous "big bad organizations like FDA are evil and don't care about people, only money" cliche, which people like to use as argument.