What's new

Backing up your system

tooie

I was thinking my system really needs to be backed up, granted I can manually go through and choose what I like and burn it to a cd .. that is great if I can remember to do it often enough ..

Does any one have a better method?

I was thinking of writing a program to do what I would like .. I would like to have a zip/rar/etc that compresses the dir/files I want to one file, with excluding certain file types, do this once a week, with a differential every day. I would have things like my documents, my programs, my pictures, contacts, emails, etc .. things like my pictures I may only want a complete backup once every 6 months but differentials daily since the data changes rarely .. then just burn to a cd once a month .. It would be best to have another HD that this achieves are stored to.

I have a 256 slim HD that plugs in to the usb .. I would like things like the record of my money to backed up to this daily to this external HD.

Remote

I would rather say Norton Ghost, do a image of your entire system and write your own program to backup the small things :D

OP
tooie

tooie

jollyrancher said:
I don't really see the point of that considering how many hard disk backup utilities there are. A good one is Norton GoBack.

I will have a look at it .. the point of asking is so I do not write something that I can just get elsewhere .. But I did look a couple years back and there was nothing that I really could find .. Ghost is execellent for a full backup .. but I have an 80 gig HD .. I may have like 300mb - 1gb of critical data .. that is all that I care about being backed up