What's new

Ati's new z-buffer mode

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Hi any programmer who reads this. I wonder if it's possible to program or modify a graphic plugin to use Ati's new z-buffer mode (Hierarchical Z)? Because the old graphic plugins ain't doing so well (they ain't working at all). The plugins that would have been good to modify would have been glN64 and Jabo's Direct3D cuz they work (worked) with project64.

So the question is... can you do this?

gandalf

Member ready to help
it could be a nice idea,but you need to force jabo to do that :p,because he´s out of N64 emulation.
And orkin.....well,we got Direct 64,autor of GLN64

OP
arnalion

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
yea that could be a problem, but if jabo is out of of n64 emulation who made the new jabo direct3d for project64k?

Clements

Jabo made 1.5.1 a long while before SP1 but wasn't released AFAIK, and hotquik made PJ64k from the 1.4 source.

OP
arnalion

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
K, but do you know if it's possible to any of the programmers to make a graphic plugin that uses the new z-buffer?

Last edited:

mezkal

Man on a mission
It's not new....LOL

arnalion said:
Hi any programmer who reads this. I wonder if it's possible to program or modify a graphic plugin to use Ati's new z-buffer mode (Hierarchical Z)? Because the old graphic plugins ain't doing so well (they ain't working at all). The plugins that would have been good to modify would have been glN64 and Jabo's Direct3D cuz they work (worked) with project64.

Heirarchical-Z has been around since the Radeon 7500. It's also not something people have to program for, it's meant to be a driver optimiisation of the Z-Buffer Order; when used it offers some bandwdith savings across the AGP bus. That's why it can be disabled via many of the RAGE/RADEON tweakers. Which is what you might need to do to get those plugins and older apps working properly.

OP
arnalion

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Okay :D, i just thought so becouse i couldn't select 32bit z-buffering in the menu. So i got a new question :p. Don't the ati cards have support for 32bit z-buffering? Are they using 24bit z-buffering or something? Becouse i can't select 32bit, and if 32bit z-buffering should have been enabled wouldn't the graphics plugins got fucked up