What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Anyone into scripting?

mode7

I wondered if anyone on this forum has some experience with java script especially with photoshop scripting.
I'm talking about automated processing of large tiled textures like in backgrounds, skyboxes and logos. These can be really a pain to retexture, especially for me but also for other authors. I'm using a combination of downloaded scripts and actions I made myself wich really makes the process easier, but there's still much too manual labour involved. With a script, you would just have to do do the jigsaw thing - Which is not that hard if you number them (A script could do that too)- and then put the high rez image over it voila.
Everyone with some basic knowledge of java/javascript could do it, it's not that of a big deal. But I suck really hard at scripting.
Not just me any texture author would profit from such a thing!
I once read about federelli planing to do such a thing though I'm not sure if he did perhaps anyone knows about that?

Datadayne

Im with you. I gave up retexturing logo's and backgrounds because it was very time consuming. Some sort of script would be useful, like mode7 said, it would really help a lot of us here.

Well, I hope someone does come up with the solution.

Data

Shin_Gouki

well no disrespect to the forums here, but try asking that in a photsop forum might bring u better results..

OP
mode7

mode7

Yeah, but I think they wouldn't go like: " Yeah of course I'm going to write a script for some random guy, for some project I have no clue what it's all about"

I think there are some people on this board who have at least limited knowledge.
I would help with the syntax but I don't understand the structure of the code.

@EliteKnight: You're still learning? Java or JS? What can you do yet?

Cyberman

This is closer to programming isn't it?

Erstwhile why not just ask questions on how to script?

Read up on the subject too.

The programming forums has a nice link in one of the posts "how to ask questions intellegently" although intimidating to do so, you can still ask questions. Don't expect people to do things for you without any effort on your part. If you put some effort into it first (even a failed script is a success because you put some effort into it) and ask questions on how to do a better job etc., or what would be a better way, you can get help. Help is not doing it for you. That's philanthropy.

Don't be silly in thinking people will write something for you. It's kind of application specific too. However most people are willing to HELP you, if you need to know how to do something, they WILL help you in that regard. You do need to put some effort in yourself first. Otherwise to them you will be yet another Noob asking for the moon. Would you make a texture pack from scratch for someone who has an idea but has done no work (IE no texture dumping no attempt to make any new textures etc.)

Let me state this, if you don't do anything, nothing will happen. It's as simple as that.

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
mode7

mode7

whish I had seen this post earlier...

I think your answer is quite rude (especially for a mod) and completely beside the point.
I wouldn't have asked the question if I hadn't tried it already and I really did. Took me a whole afternoon to read tutorials and documentations in which I better should have been studying, when I realized that I was lacking some basic knowledge in Javascript to do this, because I can understand the PS commands but I can't understand the syntax of the code. I never asked someone "to write something for me", I asked if there was someone who has skills in Java/Javascript, so that he could help me writting such a thing or I could help him.
I worked really hard to simplyfy the process of retexturing tiled graphics (By which I did a really nice realistic OoT sky BTW) to make life easier for people like gitech, datadayne and a lot of others including me of course - now thats philanthropy!
There was just one little thing I couldn't do myself so I asked for help - obviously a major crime on this board.
Funny, cause I've never seen you calling any of those kids posting some poor screens of a handfull textures, made from filters or scanned nintendo power pages, "noobs calling for the moon" (Gladly you didn't, cause some turned out to be some talented artists)
Anyway, I'm putting far too much of my sparetime in this whole retexturing thing, maybe more than I should - and I'm not going to learn java script additionally, because you call me a noob and treat me like a little child (I'm probably older than you).
Let me make a little emotional statement at the end: I'm really pissed off!

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I can do C++ programming if you can describe exactly what you want it to do, but no scripts. Perhaps something that can join and split images (retaining the filename after resplitting)

Cyberman

I think your answer is quite rude (especially for a mod) and completely beside the point.
No it wasn't, the wrong forum you have posted in for help with Javascript. I didn't move it however.
I wouldn't have asked the question if I hadn't tried it already and I really did. Took me a whole afternoon to read tutorials and documentations in which I better should have been studying, when I realized that I was lacking some basic knowledge in Javascript to do this, because I can understand the PS commands but I can't understand the syntax of the code. I never asked someone "to write something for me", I asked if there was someone who has skills in Java/Javascript, so that he could help me writting such a thing or I could help him.
I used JS once in a project 6 years back haven't used it since and recall nothing of it (embarssingly). There was a few people frequenting the programming forum I remember who could help you a lot more (certainly I couldn't JS is a polar bare in a snow storm to me these days).
I worked really hard to simplyfy the process of retexturing tiled graphics (By which I did a really nice realistic OoT sky BTW) to make life easier for people like gitech, datadayne and a lot of others including me of course - now thats philanthropy!
Glad you had something to show for your efforts. Sometimes I wonder why I work on my projects myself (LOL).
There was just one little thing I couldn't do myself so I asked for help - obviously a major crime on this board.
Asking questions is not a crime I am aware of. It is tenably a poor choice to place your querry for help here.
Funny, cause I've never seen you calling any of those kids posting some poor screens of a handfull textures, made from filters or scanned nintendo power pages, "noobs calling for the moon" (Gladly you didn't, cause some turned out to be some talented artists)
Glad to hear of it. However this isn't about them it's about you.
Anyway, I'm putting far too much of my sparetime in this whole retexturing thing, maybe more than I should - and I'm not going to learn java script additionally, because you call me a noob and treat me like a little child (I'm probably older than you).
Well I'm working on something related to retexturing as well however from a somewhat different direction. We all have our hobbies. As for the 'noob' etc. you appear to be reading more into it than there was to begin with.

Cyb

Last edited:

Driscol

annoying you for over a year!
wow i always thought mods where a little more uptight. its good to see your taking it in your stride cyb.

OP
mode7

mode7

@cyberman

Yeah, I might have been reading to much into your post and I've probably been in a bad mood too.
And you ARE right - it was the wrong forum to ask such a thing.
I just don't like to be called lazy for a case in which I wasn't, cause thats what your post implied for me.

But let's just forget about it and get back to the topic.
Thinking about this really woke my ambition, and so I'm going to give scripting another try - could take me some time though. I actually had some JS in School also about 6 or so years ago as you I don't remember much of it but perhaps it'll come back.

@nmn: Thats very nice of you, but I need to access photoshops internal commands. Thanks for your help but as I said I will try myself now and will see how far I come. Learning a bit of javascript was on my list anyway and thats were I will start.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I just don't like to be called lazy for a case in which I wasn't, cause thats what your post implied for me.
Sorry if it came across that way.
But let's just forget about it and get back to the topic.
Thinking about this really woke my ambition, and so I'm going to give scripting another try - could take me some time though. I actually had some JS in School also about 6 or so years ago as you I don't remember much of it but perhaps it'll come back.
If anything it will give me an excuse to update more of the free programming sources in ... programming (LOL). That is to add some Javascript stuff in the thread I have for free programming resources (one of many stickies in that forum).
Javascript has a few problems if I remember, although free the API people are primarily familiar with in it is Microsofts <censored> <censored> of it. Erstwhile for those who wish to get started try this link.

Currently there is a stealth project going on in the background here to make some of the image packaging and such somewhat easier. I can only say that it's moving slower than I ever thought it would. :D
TP's may become smaller and not need to include a pile of files. Just one file. Portability between sets for other plugins might become more possible. It takes a lot of work however to do this. It's a long term project. It is however kind of fun. :D
Cyb

OP
mode7

mode7

Thanks for the link. What I want to write is only a very small part, were scripts are definately needed, so as soon as I have the necesearry knowledge, it shouldn't take to long (already wrote 4 lines of code that went trough the syntax check ;))
If something better comes out in between, I won't be said!