What's new

8304 spyware objects!

Clements

Today, the dubious award of 'Most spyware objects found on a single workstation at my university' goes to workstation #347 in the corner of one of the computer rooms with a massive 8304 spyware objects detected, of which 98 couldn't be removed.

It took about 20mins to complete the scan, and a futher 15 or so minutes to delete. Most of the files were VX2 files in the browser cache. On the scratch directory (which anyone can access and use) there were various P2P apps that are known to install spyware onto your system. This is an indication of the carelessness of some users! :p

This goes to show you that if you are not sensible with what applications you download or fail to use adequate protection against threats on the internet, you can end up in a similar situation :D

I swear that the picture below is not altered in any way:

minkster

Holy shit dude...the most spyware I ever had was like mabe like 200 objects...but that is just insane. :paperbag: :happy:

-Shadow-

Banned
That's wicked sick ! How could the workstation still run with that much spyware ?! Spybot S+D got 17000 known spyware apps , that workstation got about the half of them ! That PC must be overflooded with pop-ups and such bad jokes !?

Gorxon

Administrator
8000+ spyware opjects, yet no running (spyware) processes...that's pretty amazing.

Box Elder

yeah but how many are just cookies?
and how good is that spyware program anyway, does it mis detect files. A lot of them do.

minkster

Box Elder said:
yeah but how many are just cookies?
and how good is that spyware program anyway, does it mis detect files. A lot of them do.
Adaware and Spybot are the two best spy/adware programs out there. And plus they are for free! :happy:

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
I ran Adaware on my girlfriends mum's computer and there was over 200,000 objects detected. Nearly all objects were to do with the Win32/Netsky.C worm. The program took more than 24 hours to detect then delete all the objets. Even then th computer was still infected so i had to download a seperate removal tool. Thats the most ive seen.

smcd

Your university allows for installing software / keeping files even upon reboot? Our university has "Deep Freeze" to remove all traces of stuff that user's install or save on reboot/logout.

OP
Clements

Clements

sethmcdoogle said:
Your university allows for installing software / keeping files even upon reboot?

Yep. You can pretty much install anything to C: (allow you cannot view/access it directly) - all you need is an installer, as long as the installer doesn't require admin priviledges. This allows any moron to install GAIN/Dashbar/any other crap directly to drive C: :D

So, if someone installs a Yahoo Bar onto a workstation for example, all users who log onto that computer will get the Yahoo bar. All programs installed on one of the comps by people can be seen from the Add/Remove Programs menu which I managed to hack to. Some comps have multiple bars - I've seen three bars on occasion. :happy:

This explains the thousands of spyware objects that accumulate on the comps. :D

smcd

OK that's just really really sad. :p have you tried browsing the C: drive in internet explorer, for example? file://c:/ should work ;)

Flash

Technomage
Clements said:
Yep. You can pretty much install anything to C: (allow you cannot view/access it directly) - all you need is an installer, as long as the installer doesn't require admin priviledges. This allows any moron to install GAIN/Dashbar/any other crap directly to drive C: :D

So, if someone installs a Yahoo Bar onto a workstation for example, all users who log onto that computer will get the Yahoo bar. All programs installed on one of the comps by people can be seen from the Add/Remove Programs menu which I managed to hack to. Some comps have multiple bars - I've seen three bars on occasion. :happy:

This explains the thousands of spyware objects that accumulate on the comps. :D
Holy sh*t !!! What a dumbass admins... Any lamer can :nuke: whole network... Now it's spyware, next will be teh l33t hdd er@z0r :D :D :D