What's new

60 FPS? Seems too fast...

BlueFalcon7

Yes, that is correct, I do in fact get 60 FPS on the Dolphin emulator in some 3D games. But this does regard the Dolphin 64 beta 3

I was playing Sonic Adventure 2 battle, to see how well it ran, and there were places ingame where it would go 60 FPS. The speed seems normal, and it feels fully playable. In rare cases (like without dual core enabled) I see it go 30 FPS, and it seems like it goes half speed. So, that all makes sense mathematically.

What doesnt make sense, is when I play Zelda wind waker, I get 15~30 FPS outside. When it does make it up to 30 FPS, it feels like its going normal speed. I thought it was just that I was not used to that game, but when I went inside, I got 60 FPS. When I walked around, it was like Link was on speed or something. like, I was only getting 55~65 FPS, but the game was playing faster than normal. Almost like 30 FPS was full speed.

So, are there games where 60 FPS is full speed, and some where 30 FPS is full speed?

Also, I never thought I would see the day, but I think a speed limiter is going to have to be implemented, same with frameskip (if its not already, then again, if you have a 64 bit system, you should have a pretty good graphics card) there are 3D games where I do get more than full speed, and I never thought I would be annoyed with playing a game a little too fast (better than being waaaay too slow.)

masterchiefoo7

well, oblivion for 360 and PC runs at 30 FPS, so i would just assume that some games are just made to run at different FPSes.

I second the speed limiter!

or just start running background Apps like crazy.
dosbox and changing the CPU cycles with CTRL + F11/F12 work well in situations like this.

OP
BlueFalcon7

BlueFalcon7

I like your thinking ;) but unfortunately, the speed fluctuates too fast to try to do that. As you probably know, the Dolphin was previously too slow to be playable, and would just go as fast as it could, using all the CPU it could. Now, its so much more optimized that when it uses all the CPU it can, it actually goes faster than the game was intended to go.

GCFreak

The problem is that Dolphin doesn't have a built-in frame limiter. Before, Dolphin didn't need one because games ran too slow, but now since games run much, much faster, it looks like it needs one now. :p

lightchris

So, are there games where 60 FPS is full speed, and some where 30 FPS is full speed?

That's how it is, at least for NTSC games. PAL games should usually run at 50 or 25 fps, except that they have a 60 Hz mode.

A framelimiter would be very nice indeed.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It seems to me that the FPS you're listing is actually FPS and not VI/s, which then would make sense.

ector

Emulator Developer
When I get a new 64-bit machine (sold the old one when moving) I'll add the framelimiter ... however, no promises about the timeframe, I am BUSY unfortunately :)

lightchris

When I get a new 64-bit machine (sold the old one when moving) I'll add the framelimiter ... however, no promises about the timeframe, I am BUSY unfortunately :)

Take your time. :)

But it's good to hear that it's on the "to do" list.