What's new

1964 0.9.9 - Not the Big Hit ?

death rin VR

Ok, i don't want to insult anyone of the developers of the new 1964, but I (from an amateurs point of view) just can't see any improvements towards Project 64, besides the fact that the games are running really fast (almost too fast in most cases):

a) Pokemon Snap still does not work in any way
b) Resident Evil still has the same Problems
c) Nightmare Creatures isn't playable at all (it works on PJ64)
d) The 2 Star Wars Games still don't work
e) Same for Vigilante 1+2
f) Mario Tennis looks worse than it does with PJ64
g) Smash Brothers has graphic issues that were bot there in PJ64
h) Pokemon Stadium 2 works worse than on PJ64
i) Same for Mario Tennis

Or are there any ways to solve these problems ? Especially the speed of the games and points b) f) and g) ? The Emu works much better than the old 1964, but that's everything positive I can see in it…plus it runs In-Fisherman Bass hunter, what makes me love it despite all errors…

mojo

death rin VR said:
Ok, i don't want to insult anyone of the developers of the new 1964, but I (from an amateurs point of view) just can't see any improvements towards Project 64, besides the fact that the games are running really fast (almost too fast in most cases):

a) Pokemon Snap still does not work in any way
b) Resident Evil still has the same Problems
c) Nightmare Creatures isn't playable at all (it works on PJ64)
d) The 2 Star Wars Games still don't work
e) Same for Vigilante 1+2
f) Mario Tennis looks worse than it does with PJ64
g) Smash Brothers has graphic issues that were bot there in PJ64
h) Pokemon Stadium 2 works worse than on PJ64
i) Same for Mario Tennis

Or are there any ways to solve these problems ? Especially the speed of the games and points b) f) and g) ? The Emu works much better than the old 1964, but that's everything positive I can see in it…plus it runs In-Fisherman Bass hunter, what makes me love it despite all errors…

Yeah, it's true there is some limitation in current version. But there are many many changes in new 0.99 version especially core fixes and speed. I think the main aim of 1964 is performance, those game fixes and plugins are just sub-factor. So just wait til you see full version of 1964. You'll be suprised!!

schibo

Emulator Developer
mojo said:
Yeah, it's true there is some limitation in current version. But there are many many changes in new 0.99 version especially core fixes and speed. I think the main aim of 1964 is performance, those game fixes and plugins are just sub-factor. So just wait til you see full version of 1964. You'll be suprised!!

mojo do us all a favor and shut the hell up. you've been a thorn in my side for three months.

schibo

Emulator Developer
mojo said:

mojo, perhaps it's best if you don't speak for us, ok ?

The only suggestion I can make in response to the original question is to try PJ or another emu--or even the original N64, and if you have better results with them in those games, enjoy it.

Last edited:
OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

Which other plugins could i try to use with the new 1964 to get some better results on some games ?

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

Wasn't the main goal of your new emu to get as many games running as good as possible ? I mean, you must have tested these games, haven't you ? PJ64 is much older than your emu, but still seems to be the better alternative.
Don't get me wrong: I don't want to argue about your great work on a free product, I'm just wondering why...or is there still another version to come out somewhen ? Maybe I had to high expectations also...

Which other plugins could i try to use with the new 1964 to get some better results on some games ?

Last edited:

jebeebus

For video you can try Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 or glN64 0.4.1. I have found that Jabo's plugin works best for most of the games besides the ones that say to use Rice's plugin, but some games like Super Smash Bros. works excellent with the glN64 plugin. For sound, schibo's works best in most games, but you can also check out Azimer's too, although it tends to slow down most games. You can also try using the RSP plugin, using the one from PJ64. Configuring the plugins also affects how the game plays, so make sure you look around on the forums for some good configurations for specific hardware and such.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
A) Video Plugin issue
B) Mixed Video/Sound issues.
C) True
D) Video Plugin issue
E) Video Plugin issue
F) Video plugin issue, use PJ64's if you feel this way.
G) Video Plugin issue
H) Let me guess, because of its video and sound right?
I) VIDEO PLUGIN ISSUE!!!!

most if not all of your problems are video plugin issue, and i must stress that no matter how GOOD the core is these problems will remain with the video plugin settings you have, that goes for sound and input as well.

The core is what handles the CPU instructions and what not, The two star wars games you listed do actually work in the core (AFAIK), but there is no video plugin that supports it.

In short, don't judge the emulator because of its plugins, try using PJ64's plugins if there is a problem.

That said, i think you'll find 1964 in most cases is much faster than PJ64 is.

Last edited:

The Siskoo

1964 and PJ64 are complementary. Plus, we never said, 1964 is a revolution. 1964 0.9.9 is a big evolution, more stable, better for slow machines, lot new games playable, lot core bugs fixed, netplay, etc...

We made a big job on Duncan Ini to fix or to improve the ini file too.

I can understand you death rin VR, some great games have some problems, but there are some "normal" games very interestin to play too... We must wait about new plugins who could fix these problems.

I don't flame you, I give just my point of view. Actually, the better way to use the games is to use 1964 and PJ64 (maybe others).

desertboy

Xbox N64 Emulation Fanatic
death rin VR said:

As an out of the box program project 64 does seem the better emulator, mainly because of Jabo's awesome plugins (Such a pity they're not open source) Rice's plugin's generally take a little love and care to get optimum results. But when you do get them they're well worth it and the speed is certainly impressive. Although Jabo's plugin appears the superior rice's plugin is the savior of N64 emulation on the xbox which is mightly impressive and probably the platform of choice for many N64 games after an N64 of course. Of course Rice's plugin's have other advantages other than speed and being open source.

See Mario tennis screenshot
http://www.emutalk.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12655

in this thread
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=17950&page=1

The only problem I'm having is wipeout seems to run too fast but other than that I'm blown away by this release.

Rice's plugin consistently surprises me but the progession he's made since 4.6 is stunning.

PS although the downloads are illegal and you need a chipped xbox which is illegal in a lot of the world I think Surreal64 is going to be something you might want to keep a vague eye on.

www.xbox-scene.com

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

Sayargh said:
A) Video Plugin issue
B) Mixed Video/Sound issues.
C) True
D) Video Plugin issue
E) Video Plugin issue
F) Video plugin issue, use PJ64's if you feel this way.
G) Video Plugin issue
H) Let me guess, because of its video and sound right?
I) VIDEO PLUGIN ISSUE!!!!

most if not all of your problems are video plugin issue, and i must stress that no matter how GOOD the core is these problems will remain with the video plugin settings you have, that goes for sound and input as well.

Sorry, it's hard to believe that. Pokemon Snap, Resident Evil, The 2 Star Wars Games (Battle for Naboo und Shadows of the Empire) and the 2 Vigiliante Games have never really worked on an Emulator. So don't tell me it's just a matter of plugin: They don't work on the new 1964 either.

So, what do we have, if we include the Project64 plugins:
- Some Games are faster, which is a real big improvement (thanks for that).
- Only a few games are running almost perfect for the first time (I've only seen Basshunter and Wetrix which didn't work before).

But:
- Most Games that did not work before still do not work.

I'm just wondering where the big revolution is and why there was such a fuss about this new Emu before.

Maybe i don't understand to much of the emulator itself to judge that. I'm just telling by watching the games run. I at least have to admit that 1964 with the use of PJ64s Plugins *has* become a real alternative.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
death rin VR said:
Sorry, it's hard to believe that. Pokemon Snap, Resident Evil, The 2 Star Wars Games (Battle for Naboo und Shadows of the Empire) and the 2 Vigiliante Games have never really worked on an Emulator. So don't tell me it's just a matter of plugin: They don't work on the new 1964 either.

It is a matter of plugins, the core emulation, which is basically the core CPU of the Nintendo 64 is more or less perfect at this point, the only reason these games have problems, is the fact that vieo plugins aren't perfect, and they still have a long way to go (no offense Rice, I love your new plugin) it isnt the emulator, it's the plugins, a very good example is South Park Rally, it says almost playable in the menu, because the authors are going by the standard plugin set, however, run it through Glide64+Evoodoo Nemesis and it's fully playable, and rather enjoyable.

Trotterwatch

death rin VR (or should I say magic stick)... you are acting like an ass - first and foremost I feel.

They are plugin issues - you know jack about emulation it would seem (as adjudged from previous posts). These games work in the core, or at least have worked in the core (and AFAIK still do). It is indeed the graphics plugin stopping advancement.

So, what do we have, if we include the Project64 plugins:
- Some Games are faster, which is a real big improvement (thanks for that).
- Only a few games are running almost perfect for the first time (I've only seen Basshunter and Wetrix which didn't work before).

Some games are faster - yep I would consider that a big improvement. People with borderline machines suddenly being able to play N64 games via emulators, yes I'd consider that a big improvement also.

A couple of games not working before, Taz Express, Wetrix, Top Gear Overdrive, Top Gear Hyperbike etc That is an achievement.

Per plugin settings for the emulator
Netplay
Adjustable speed

So come on, stop focusing on the negatives. The emulator isn't perfect, that is known - no one has ever professed that to be the case. It wasn't ever going to be a revolution either, I do wish people could post a quote where I or someone else connected with the team said that.

I did say however it was:

fast
compatible
had a decent sound plugin

The latter seems to have had issues with some people, as has the default graphics and .ini but the problems will be fixed.

Graphics issues with certain games, will be fixed as and when the graphics plugin authors can find out more information about the games. Take Ogre Battle for example, Gonetz has just found the magic needed in order to get the backgrounds to show up - in time that will filter down to other graphics plugins etc Emulation history is a rich tapestry of people who have had problems with certain games, but have then had the games fixed by evolutions in plugins.

Disclaimer

These thoughts are all my own, and are in no way to be associated with Schibo and Rice, who may or may not agree with them.

Last edited:

Allnatural

death rin VR said:
...I (from an amateurs point of view) just can't see any improvements towards Project 64...
That was never the intent.

death rin VR said:
The Emu works much better than the old 1964, but that's everything positive I can see in it…
Bingo, that was the intent.

This isn't a competition, and as has been pointed out already, most remaining issues are plugin related.

OP
death rin VR

death rin VR

death rin VR said:
As I said - i don't know anything about emulation, i just see what comes out. Wouldn't it be a better idea (and less work) then to write some new plugins for PJ64 instead of making a whole new emu ? The Point of Emulation in my view isn't the option to use hundreds of different settings for video, sound, speed etc., but simply be able to play the games.

Variety is the spice of life, and helps to make more games playable. Also remember that we're trying to support hundreds of different types of video, audio and chip configurations.

I guess you should also know that 1964 is almost 5 years old. By your statements, it's clear that you do not know that :). So I am letting you in. (Try to read my help manual).

Last edited by a moderator:

The Siskoo

death rin VR said:
I am not focusing on the negatives. I'm just remembering all the threads where people were talking about the new 1964 and how good it will be...It *is* good, but not as good as said before.

Test 1964 0.8.5 and after test 1964 0.9.9. You must see some changes. ;-)

Trotterwatch

As I said - i don't know anything about emulation, i just see what comes out. Wouldn't it be a better idea (and less work) then to write some new plugins for PJ64 instead of making a whole new emu ? The Point of Emulation in my view isn't the option to use hundreds of different settings for video, sound, speed etc., but simply be able to play the games.

A better idea and less work? You are making it sound like 1964 is a commercial venture which you are having to pay for. In that instance yes, you could say it may be better for them (commercially) making new plugins. However it also makes sense that people want emulators that require less specs - believe it or not a sizeable proportion of PC users still use sub 1ghz systems.

Schibos experience is in core programming, that is his forte. Rice I believe does some of both, his graphics plugin is actually very good - but has some issues in it. A lot of the shots I took early in beta were using Rices plugin for example.

You have to remember all the emulation programmers do this as a hobby and as a challenge. Schibos aims (AFAIK - not meaning to speak for him) were to make a fast, compatible emulator. The fact that people on lower end machines are now citing they are going to be using 1964 as their primary emulator, justifies this design choice.

Emulation is a very tough thing to do - the games that are emulated already by PJ64/1964 and the respective plugins were very hard to emulate, but by the sheer skill of the authors emulation is where it is today. There are some persistent games that are very tough to emulate, as I said - when the information can be found out (by whatever means) is the time the plugin authors can program plugins that work with those games.

One inclusion in 1964 a lot of people have overlooked is the FB R/W notification, if all goes to plan this should help out plugin authors to increase the speed when certain framebuffer effects are used.

I am not focusing on the negatives. I'm just remembering all the threads where people were talking about the new 1964 and how good it will be...It *is* good, but not as good as said before.

That is the same with any program. People can have raised expectations, it happens - I know I didn't tell any lies though when I took the screenshots. When people asked about games like Indiana Jones I told them the status correctly - ie non working at the moment.

Sometimes I bet emulation authors wish they had a menagarie of magical elves that could just sprinkle some magic powder over the code and make games like Rogue Squadron work 100% sadly they do not have this :( If you know where they can get some of these magical beings though, send me a PM :p

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
1964 0.99 is a big hit for me............. because now we have an alternative to pj64 (i deleted my pj64 dir), my friends with slower computers can play an n64 emu and we have an open-source high quality n64 emu.....