What's new

ANNOUNCE: Dolphin Now Open Source

ector

Emulator Developer
We hereby release the source code of Dolphin and most of its plugins under the GPL 2.0.

You can check out the code using Subversion (we recommend TortoiseSVN), from our new repository at Google Code. .

A few new features are included:

* New OpenGL graphics plugin by zerofrog
* Basic patch/cheat system (no search yet), support for decrypted Action Replay codes
* Much faster JIT in 32-bit, slightly faster in 64-bit
* Basic Wii support (plays a couple of intro movies, starts zelda, no working wiimote)
* Some more I forgot about right now, see them as bonuses..

With the new gfx plugin, the code mostly builds and even runs a bit on Linux, but games don't work yet. There's now a cross platform wxWidgets GUI.

We'll release some new official builds soon, too.

Compatibility has not increased since the last release, but speed has in many cases.

Dolphin is currently not in a super polished state, but we hope that the community can help fix that, and maybe in the long run also add more features and compatibility. If anyone has a new feature or fix and wants SVN write access, just contact us and we'll add you to the project. Or you could just fork the whole thing, but that would probably be annoying :)

Have fun,

/ ector & F|RES

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
o_O
I nearly pee'ed in my pants, after seeing this.
I never thought, that Dolphin will see a open source release and also that unexpected... is it already 1st april? *lol*
Congratz on this, sadly all my games are at the house of a friend of mine.
So probably will try later.

tommek2k

Wow, just WOW....Wii support....sooo unexpected, and now open source, I hope there are enough talented people who want to help! =)
Keep it up guys! =)

Toasty

Sony battery
Awesome! I know this decision wasn't made lightly. It's fantastic that you guys have made so much progress toward a Linux port, too! :)

spotanjo3

Thank you! I can't wait to test it under Core 2 Duo with GeForce 8800gt and 2048gb of ram! Thanks and keep up the good work!

Federelli

Beta Tester
This is huge new to the emulation scene, grats guys.

On a side not, i wanted to mention, u guys have one of the cleanest UIs there is in all the emu scene, and now u use widgets, even better, gogo Codeblocks!

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
If anyone has a new feature or fix and wants SVN write access, just contact us and we'll add you to the project.
So I take it this means the team won't be stopping development?
Also, BETTER SPEED! This release is made of awesome and win! Can't wait to try some new builds. And I was getting tired of answering all those noob threads "OMG dolfin runz reeel slow!!!1!!1one".

Olly

(Y)
We'll release some new official builds soon, too.
*Faints*
Gets up.
*Faints again*

Haha, I'm wowed by this news. And preliminary support for the Wii? Awesome.
I may be jumping to conclusions, but does this mean the low graphics requirements of the Wii and the many similarities to the GC it has, make the Wii very capable of being emulated at this point?
And exactly how easy to do is that?

Amazing news, thanks very much.

EDIT:
Is this gonna include the frame limiter?

spotanjo3

EDIT:
Is this gonna include the frame limiter?

Please read it again:

New Features

* Interprets Action Replay codes
* Buggy framerate limiter, deactivated
* Full Xbox 360 Controller support, with rumble

Got it ? :)

ok thx for the news and can you tell us when you will bring it out?
sry for my bad english

Binary is up now:

x86: http://www.ngemu.com/gc/dolphin.php?action=get&id=733
x64: http://www.ngemu.com/gc/dolphin.php?action=get&id=734

ENJOY!

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Since it's now open, Official binaries won't be much different from unofficial ones, aside from official ones likely being more clean (with an installer, etc...)

spotanjo3

Since it's now open, Official binaries won't be much different from unofficial ones, aside from official ones likely being more clean (with an installer, etc...)

Yes it will be much different but as you said it is being more clean however it will be much different, yes. I test Twilight Princess with horse riding into Link's hometown and it crashed. So unoffical released have a corruption or something. The Dolphin beta 3 x64 doesn't have a problem. I will wait for offical released then. :)

Last edited: