What's new

Strange Video Bug

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
There's a problem with my current video card that doesn't let me use the 800 x 600 resolution normally. I only have a 15" CRT so 800 x 600 isn't too bad for games. I would probably fix it using the monitor adjusments controls, but that way I probably screw the 1024 x 768 screen view.
To understand the problem please see the attached image (yeah it's made with paint, but it's for giving you an idea). No matter if I'm using the Windows GUI or any OpenGL or DirectX game, the screen will see as stated below. So what could be the problem?

smcd

The monitor control panel should have settings to adjust the skew (not sure if this is the correct term but anyhow). My monitor does some weird things like that at various resolutions as well, and I have to use the monitor's controls to adjust it.

revl8er

That Damn Good
My old monitor did the same thing. Get a program that changes the refresh rate of that certain resolution and then force it to play games at that refresh rate.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I believe at certain resolutions your monitor "remembers" settings for it, so if you mess with your res at 800x600, next time you're on it - it will likely be the same as before. Next time you're on 800x600 fix it with the monitor controls, it won't hurt the other resolutions.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
ScottJC said:
I believe at certain resolutions your monitor "remembers" settings for it, so if you mess with your res at 800x600, next time you're on it - it will likely be the same as before. Next time you're on 800x600 fix it with the monitor controls, it won't hurt the other resolutions.

Thanks man... you gived me the right answers