What's new

Zelda: OoT MQ problem: doing backflips?

nmfrboga

I'm stuck inside Ganon's Tower in the Fire Path and I need to get a gem there, but to do it, I need to do a backflip. I've tried it like I'm supposed to by doing L+ down+ A (and I've played the game on the N64 and Gamecube before so I know how to do one),but Link just seems to just back up but not jumping. What seems to be the problem?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Either he's always doing it wrong, his key bindings are off, or his ROM is bad.

OP
N

nmfrboga

I'm 100% sure I'm doing it right, I just press and hold Z (or L like it says in the game itself) to zoom, then i press back on the analog stick and A. I've tried it with Majora's Mask and had the same problem, except that sometimes it did work in some occasions, mostly when I had something targeted. I just don't get it. Link just looks like he's taking a sh** when I do it lol.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
I imagine it's because you're using a keyboard to play the game, and your computer will only recognize up to two key presses at a time. (And you need to hold three keys to do an untargeted backflip.) This would also explain why it works when you are Z-targeting something, as you don't need to hold Z to do the backflip. Gamepads/joysticks are a million times better than a keyboard for N64 games.

Last edited:

dragonflame2239

I imagine it's because you're using a keyboard to play the game, and your computer will only recognize up to two key presses at a time. (And you need to hold three keys to do an untargeted backflip.) This would also explain why it works when you are Z-targeting something, as you don't need to hold Z to do the backflip. Gamepads/joysticks are a million times better than a keyboard for N64 games.

This is true, depending on your keyboard manufacturer as some don't allow certain keys while others do. I'm using an HP keyboard and the Z-Down and A combo works for mine. (Z is N, Down is S and A is H.)

Try setting either your Z button, Down button and/or A button, to something else and see if he does it then.

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm guessing your keyboard is USB then? AFAIK, the 2-key limit is a technical limitation to PS/2 keyboards, but USB keyboards may allow for more. I haven't tried this, but if you're limited to two keys, you might be able to get around the issue by using a modifier key (Shift, Ctrl, etc.) as one of the buttons.

Agozer

Usually the numpad doesn't clash with the rest of the keyboard keys, so I suggest setting most of the buttons there.

OP
N

nmfrboga

i'm using a laptop btw but yeah maybe that might've been the case, I'll try all of your suggestions and I'll let you know if it worked or not. Thx in advance!

OP
N

nmfrboga

You guys were right, i've tried using 2 buttons on my keypad and one normal key and i can do it perfectly. Although the shift key doesn't seem to work with the 2 other keys for some reason. Thx for solving the issue guys! :) Time to kick Ganon's butt! :batman:

Last edited:

Thorlord

kinda finding it hard to believe that any keybord has a 2 key limit.

i mean... how else would you do CTRL-ALT-DEL?
do you mean two letters at a time? is the keyboard subdivided into input sections?

i imagine if he binds Z to CTRL then he might be fine.

Agozer

Modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Shift) and "special" keys (Ins, Home, Delete, End, PgUp/PgDn, Function keys) do not count.

Jokke_r

just get a gamepad, it's 100 times better, i use an older logitech wingman rumblepad and it has a perfect button layout to emulate n64 controller, Except for the left shoulder button but almost no game uses that and i just bind it to the keyboard. Also is rumbles and works perfectly with nRage plugin.