What's new

Your computer may soon explode

ra5555

N64 Newbie
That's the biggest BS I have ever seen, I mean, seriously, all they are going to achieve is the lose of their respect. If they accually did make this so called program, then all they can probably do is target some newbie internet users who have no idea how to protect their computers, while the "expert" traders will still be running around freely.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
LOL I don't see how they would accomplish that, to be quite honest, not much software can damage your PC. I highly doubt it can make it explode, at least i've never heard of it.

Flash

Technomage
Only way to make computer explode is to make your monitor modulate some unusual frequencies and use it as beacon for ICBM
ROFL !!!

How i love this bullshit for noobs, like
"new vyruz can accelerate your cdrom to 900x so your cd will explore and rip your computer's case along with your head"

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well basically it seems logical that it can be done. I mean, there's a connection to the computer via *something*, right? So technology could find a way to blow them up.

But as said, I don't think it would help. Experts would probably just adapt and the leeching would continue :baaa:

Flash

Technomage
It's absolutely impossible.

You even can't burn somenthing in computer through network. Of course you can put 600v in network wires but i think admins will slice you very very slowly...

EMP weapons ? One of three -
1) short range, huge size
2) long range and even bigger size plus extremely high cost and important parts is classified
3) small size pistol-like thing but mad price and.... you never guess what... battery is top secret thing. Of course money can build road to the moon but
flushing megabucks in wc ?

Maximum you can do from distance is nuke
victim's machine but what if he uses some kind of *nix ? Of course there's a way to crash Linux machine (Linux is weakiest of common *nix systems in terms of security)
but it's not for 10 years old k3wl h@c|<eRz . DoS ? Booooooring. And what
if somebody is behind tank-like proxy (guess who ? : ) ) - f#ck 0ff trojans :)

And how to send that trojan ?
Only complete dumbassez use Outf#ck
Express. I, for example use text browser and web interface. Or at least more secure mailers such as The Bat!

Bigass.mp3 .exe ?
For complete "know how to click" lamers.

Never had any virus since 1995. It was Onehalf but it was killed before anything happened.
Huh, forgot about CIH on my 486 laptop. But it was impossible to run it - i have only DOS on this machine.

Doomulation

Come on! I bet no one dreamed about making the nuclear bomb, yet it was made. Technology made it possible. So what makes it not possible to create something that can blow a computer from distance? Think about it.

But I doubt it'll happen nor it will work.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Hey I use outlook! :p

I do have the virus scanner on everytime though to make sure nothing gets through. Doom it won't happen, as pointed out earlier it would require a emp and you cannot send a emp blast across the internet ;)

As for hacking pah! I'm sat behind a pretty little router and a firewall to boot. Bring it!:D

OP
nephalim

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I didn't get the impression that your computer will literally "explode," it seemed more like they were planning some "virus" that would destroy your computer. They also mentioned other technology to identify P2P users even if they are behind a proxy or something along those lines.

They could NEVER send a BOMB into your house - that's downright ridiculous (not like the "virus" idea isn't - but it's slightly less ludicrous.) Read the whole article; it seems like it was pretty much accepted that this was BS and just a way of making corporations take matters into their own hands.

Doomulation

They didn't think internet was possible, too. I don't bet it can be done somehow with lots of research. But I doubt anyone would do that.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, unless the government mandated in this law that all computers made after the year 2006 must include a pack of C4 :happy:

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
for you to use the outlook express is the most stupid!

this is a reason for 98% of all of viruses online!!!

at LEAST switch to a mozilla!!!

and viruscan program will make a $1200 slow as a $300 one!

shroomario

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hmm, there are way too many different hardware combinations for one simple program to be able to blow up a computer, plus, it would only work with one configuration if at all, but i'm a sceptic and i don't believe using software to blow up a PC is possible at all.

maybe if they made an ion cannon satilite and used it to blow up your pc from orbit ;)

XxCrashxX

Well you see it would be near impossible to destroy a computer

but...

It is very possible with proper coding to destroy a hard drive until it is un usable and I dont mean format it it is actually unusable and much easier to do than you think. The "destruction" of a pc though is just about impossible

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, they could theoreticaly fry your CPU if they have the specs for your motherboard chipset. Several factors would play into whether or not its possible, but they could raise the hell out of the voltage or something. The worst problem is they would need to find some kind of vulnerability to be able to run arbitrary code, an example of such an exploit would be like the MP3 id3 tag buffer overrun. Then again, if the person uses IE and outlook, they wouldn't have to look hard :p

Last edited:

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
yes this is of the truth.

for you and for others who may connect to you, please please switch for mozilla.

u will find it is of a better browser/mail program, anyway.

www.mozilla.org

shroomario