What's new

WW sound, how can I learn programming? help?!

rimirilar

I dont know the first thing about programming. I looked up the How to do SVN builds in Windows. Looked a bit like foreign language. I am not new to computers, and I would say my skill level is intermediate-ish. I will soon have a lot of time on my hands, and this is something I would like to learn to do for a few reasons. One, I enjoy learning new things to do to keep me busy. Two, I would LOVE to have sound on Zelda WW. Three, it would be nice to be able to contribute to those who sound like they generally enjoy the same things that I do. What is the best way to go about learning programming, or what I need to learn?
I have an HP Pavilion dv7, with Windows Vista 64-bit, AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.
Not sure if this means anything in the eyes of programming or not, but here it is anyway. I tried to do a bit of programming about 9 years ago, but wasnt able to get too deep into it.
Any help would be appreciative.

Toasty

Sony battery
Bare in mind that you have a lot of learning ahead of you before any of it can be applied to emulator programming. First you need to learn a programming language. (C and C++ are languages of choice, and you'll eventually want to be familiar with assembly if you want to write code for emulators.) Then, you need to get comfortable writing normal applications in that language. (Emulators are not normal - they are arguably some of the most complicated programs you can write.) Then you can move on to writing an emulator for a simple system like Chip8.

If this hasn't scared you off, more power to you, and head over to the programming section for further questions.

X-Fi6

Agree 100% with Toasty.

He's still completely waayyyyyy too beginner though if C++ still "looks like a foreign language". It's one thing to program for your own operating system in a language you are at least familiar with and are able to make simple, useful real-world applications...... but where he's at, :saddam:

Last edited:

Cyberman

Do you wish to learn programming? Then you are asking in the wrong forum.
Are you asking to learn programming for Dolphin?
Use the programming forum next time. You can ask all the questions you want relating to programming there. There are numerous stickies there to help you in your quest.

If you need book clues I can send a few. Remember this, programming IS learning a different language. So don't be surprised if some of the books give you a syntax and grammar discussion because you need to know that information to use a programming language effectively.

Sound in itself is a rather complex topic.. uncertain what to advise you on, however first you must learn programming (it's worth it although it's not an easy 24 hour thing like some of those books say).

Moved with redirect to programming.

Cyb

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Most emulation development is research, guessing, and theory testing. Implementation is a very small part of it. Testing/Debugging plays a larger role.

Exophase

Emulator Developer
Most emulation development is research, guessing, and theory testing. Implementation is a very small part of it. Testing/Debugging plays a larger role.

Not so for the numerous platforms that are already well documented (many people aside from emulator developers work on reverse engineering platforms)