What's new

What japanease Translation projects would you love to see?

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
I would love to see an English Translation of Densha de Go! 64 (J) so i know what on earth i am meant to do :p i keep being told off :-S and am not quite sure why i am failing at it lol

So if anyone out there fancies doing a nice English Trans of this \:D/ in advance

zoinkity

Are you unsure where to start or are you just hoping somebody else will pick it up? If you need assistance with something in particular I could always help you, but I can't dedicate enough time to do much else.

[Edit]
At the least, I'll work out a decompressor. Looks like a buffered RLE type (0x3FF 'backtrack' value is index in buffer). Need to see if they wrote in any expanded write stuff that would throw off indexing though.
File system starts at "Densha!", ending at "end". Entries bear a header of 0x10:
0x0 4 type: 1-compressed file, 4-image
0x4 4 image: depth/format (ie. 10 for ci256)
0x8 4 cmpfile: compressed size (no header); image: offset to palette (with header)
0xC 4 cmpfile: decompressed size

Last edited:
OP
Gent

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Hi zoinkity, well of course i would love to see a translation of this as it looks like a very cool game imo, sadly i do not speak the language so it kind of alienates people with no grasp of the written or spoken language from playing it. In general though i just thought after all your great work on Animal Forest iu was wondering what other members wishes to see as an active project. This is a project i could never do as i am only an English specking person and no grasp of the japanease language sadly.

zoinkity

To be perfectly honest, the majority of these translation projects is little more than coding. Writing in a variable width font, doing any necessary changes to allow longer strings, message width formatting, text bank extensions, codec work, that sort of thing.
Once text is extracted you'll probably be able to find some very kind, generous, or at the very least vaive person to translate the script. Of course I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I've been hooked into projects more than once just because somebody asked very, very nicely and it seemed so much simpler at the time ;*)

Funny enough, did make a decompressor but can't verify the output. That might seem odd, but I have a good reason to believe that Nemu64 cuts off the last byte of each 0x400 segment read in by the decompression routine, leaving it zero. Reason being my extracted images so far haven't been horribly corrupted; and my output is the same size as the header's decompressed size, whereas Nemu's is much more if byte 0x3FF is ever a command byte.