What's new

Weird...

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I don't remember exactly what I did, perhaps installing DirectX 9, but all of a sudden when I boot my machine the bios screen and the first windows loading screen are not scaled to fit my laptop screen. I can't find any setting for this in the bios, and the graphics card (ati mobility m4) drivers are set to scale to fit (this option got unchecked somehow, and I think it was when that happened that what I mentioned happened.) I changed it to scale to fit, and once it gets past the first windows loading screen it does scale to fit normally...but not the boot screens. Any ideas? I don't imagine it's the drivers that have anything to do with this...maybe a firmware setting or something like that?

Was the BIOS/POST screen scaled to begin with?
And when the OS boot's that may be a driver (or a setting).

I don't think DirectX 9 has anything to do with the BIOS/POST, but more with the dirvers/boot settings.

But on my old notebook, it doesn't have scaling support.
Note: my very old notebook is an

IBM ThinkPad 755CX
Pentium 75 MHz
16MB of RAM soon 40MB (I know it's old but more RAM will help a lot)
1.2GB HD
NO CD-ROM
1.44MB floppy
SVGA Screen (800x600)
33.6K modem

And as I sad, IT'S VERY OLD! (about 8 years old)

Knuckles

well, for a laptop, its not really bad 75MHz, we have one older:
AST Ascentia 900n
486DX2 50MHz
32MB RAM (what makes it fast)
NO hard drive (the last one just stopped to work 5 months ago, we just got a new 2.1G from ebay)
NO CD-Rom
crappy floppy drive
NO sound
NO modem
512K Cirrus Logic Video 640X480
PCMCIA Xircom 10/100 network adapter

about your scalling problem, on some laptops, the windows logo is not scaled. I saw lot of laptop who had this problem. But if it's only for this, I won't say it's a huge problem.But, on some laptop, the is a video zoom fonction, I don't know how it works but I know on the one I will receive soon, there is this option

this laptop:
Compaq Armada 3500 (w/Mobile 3500 dock)
Pentium II 266MHz MMX
160MB RAM
4.3G Hard drive
24X CD-ROM
Multibay choice: floppy/LS-120/ZIP/2nd Hard drive
Xircom 56K V.90, 10/100 NIC
C & T 49000 2MB video 800X600 (?????)

Is there any hardware settings (not BIOS (like an "Fn key + F8" or something like that (lower left hand corner, right next to the "Control" key (on my old ThinkPad))))?