What's new

Weird Story

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I think I'll entertain you a little with something...

It all started when I was trying to move things across the home network. I picked some directories and sent them to a network shortcut (you know those "places" that appears under my network places?). The first thing I noticed was that it was going too fast! Second, it said it was copying between two hard drives! But I sent it to the network, so what was going on?
Knowing the files, I tried to search for the file. No results! I took a closer look at the destination directory and found it was copying to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Nätverket\Share på Iria-laptop! What? Hello? I was trying to copy to network!
I try to venture to that path, but to no avail. I get redirected to the network drive where the files that I copied does not exist! Furthermore, space was deducted from the C drive and not the Network drive!
Frustrating, I know. So I took a look via CMD. What did I find? I found the missing files! But I couldn't navigate there in any program, since it would get re-directed to the network drive. Frustrating.
However, I did notice that there is a file named target.lnk inside the directory. So I deleted it and the so called network "path" started acting like a normal directory. And so I was able to get out the files inside.
A further interesting not was that I could copy these "places" to another place. All its contents would be copied too and the "place" would still act as a shortcut in its new place!

So, what did we learn?
Network "places" are directories with a "target.lnk" file inside.
It is possible to copy files inside!
It is impossible to navigate into these directories from windows explorer. However, using cmd, it works.
The contents of these directories won't show up in searches.