What's new

VBA-M Pokemon games wont load

pcuser2008

PC Guru
I cant play any GBA pokemon games with vba-m i open the rom and below says in red text Battery and after goes white then nothing it does this with every pokemon game including Emerald,ruby,sapphire leaf green and fire red. I tried it with a gba bios didnt help i also set real time clock but no help.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
You have to go to save types and change it to "Flash 128k" IIRC... then it should work. Or use the VBA-over.ini

OP
P

pcuser2008

PC Guru
Thanks it working fine
p.s Maybe 128k should set as defaults for all gba games to decrease people posting this problem. I dont know if 128k effect gba roms that uses 64k. or some sort of autodetect

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
no, it shouldn't be, there is a database which does this automatically, known as VBA-OVER.ini which will automatically set the correct rom settings for games known to have detection issues.

Clements

Setting Flash 128K for everything breaks certain games that do not use that save type.

drumhead6

Im really new to gameboy advance emulators. Im trying to get pokemon emerald working. When loading, it gets to Game Boy, Nintendo. After that its white and doesnt load. Im using vba 1.7.2 and im pretty sure i have a bios. The game works on No$gba, but i dont want to use that 1. Any idea on how i can get this working?:sombrero:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Im really new to gameboy advance emulators. Im trying to get pokemon emerald working. When loading, it gets to Game Boy, Nintendo. After that its white and doesnt load. Im using vba 1.7.2 and im pretty sure i have a bios. The game works on No$gba, but i dont want to use that 1. Any idea on how i can get this working?:sombrero:
Just try that, what I suggested before and it should work. Or better, you should try the beta of VBA-M... it's already a lot more developed than any version of VBA.

drumhead6

K thx ill try it
I acually did try and change the save type though, Whats vba-m stand for, Im wondering cuz i have some new kind of beta

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I reckon either "Mudlord", "Multi" or "Modified". VBA-M is leaps and bound better than any Beta you might have.

Clements

The white screen thing is due to VBA not being able to detect save-types for all games correctly without additional files. Pokemon games require the Flash 128K save type, or you will get a white screen. You can either use vba-over.ini to set everything automatically, or do it manually. You will also get a white screen if you did not delete the incorrect 64K save after setting VBA to Flash 128K or using vba-over.ini.

Simple steps:

Method 1 - If you care about playing all games. (Recommended)

1. You need to use the vba-over.ini, which is attached here:

http://forums.ngemu.com/visualboy-advance-discussion/63369-how-fix-boktai-pkmn-dbz-smb3.html

2. Unzip the ini file and place it alongside the emulator.

3. Using the emulator, set the save-type to Automatic and Flash 64K

Options > Emulator > Save type

4. Delete the .sav file for the game you want to run, so you are starting a fresh game.

VBA can now detect the correct save type for all games inc. the problematic ones.

Method 2 - If you only care about running Pokemon and no other games.

1. Using the emulator, set the save-type to Automatic and Flash 128K

Options > Emulator > Save type

2. Delete the .sav file for the game you want to run, so you are starting a fresh game.

VBA can now run Pokemon games correctly, although other games that use a different save-type might get broken.

Last edited:

drumhead6

- Im not gonna bother trying to get vba-m working cuz it needs a new directx and i have dialup, I got the vba working anyways so thx to you all.

-Also how do I use the "search for cheats thing"? it always ether comes up with way too many, or no matchs

-Most cheats i type in dont work, iv only got a kind working and thats an item modifyer, 82005274 xxxx its a codebreaker, every other codebreaker and gameshark i try doesnt work, im pretty sure it was the same with my old program too so i doubt its th emualtor, the original rom zip i took the game from said it was europe, usa, does that mean ill be able to use both regions cheats?

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
If you don't have the application, don't post to the thread, start your own, because it is unrelated to the issue at hand.