What's new

Sony says 'Putting Blu-ray in PS3 is "Smartest Decision We Ever Made"'

Cyberman

Those critical of the PlayStation 3?s price often point to the Blu-ray Drive components as culprits for the system?s spendiness. Not only has the inclusion of Blu-ray into PlayStation 3?s spec driven up the bill of materials cost, it?s also much to blame for the initial shortage of consoles at launch and the delayed release into Europe and Australia.
Read the rest of the article here, for a bit of a giggle.

Cyb

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Unfortunately, that's one of the smartest sentences we are getting used to.

Riiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeeer :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
We'll have to wait and see for that really, the format war has bearly began yet. i'd like to see HD-DVD take off but there is quite a chance it might not

I recon hybrid players which play both are the future

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I think it is way too soon for anyone to declare format victory. There have been numerous anouncements of dual format systems. I don't think HD or BlueRay has an advantage. They have been competing on how many layers of data they can cram per disk I've noticed though. (My disk can hold more than your disk ner ner). Really I think Sony did this like a spasmic reaction to getting back to Beta. The Betamax was still in use tell about 2002 then almost everyone turned digital.

An important thing for people to consider. Do not mistake volume of data for quality. Just because they have 30gigs of space doesn't mean they are putting anything useful or good in it. Crap is crap weather it ocupies 1K or 1G keep that in mind before you say "Awesome". Being wowed but cool stuff but crappy game play is not my idea of smart gaming. I'm dubious about the PS3. I guess I'll wait a year when I have the money and there is something I want for it out.

Cyb

BlueFalcon7

Sony said:
Putting Blu-ray in PS3 is "Smartest Decision We Ever Made"
Well, considering the choice to put rootkits on CDs, Using Cobalt Oxide with Lithium in a laptop battery, and Suing Lik-Sang to compinsate for low sales; I have to say, Not bad so far. Maybe Suing Lik-Sang was good in the way where they would get more money from the lawsuit than from PSP/PS3 sales to that company.

Hideo Kojima seems to think so ,didnt he already said he is making MGS4 in a Dual layer BD disk (50GB) it was smart sure the price is higher but its better.
for me i hate multi-disk games like RE4 for GC of FF's on PSOne, i mean this is next gen. consoles today consoles shouldnt have this kind of problems,look at blue dragon on the x360 already in 3 disk's and i bet theres alot more games out there with the same problem.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's a small price to pay for cheaper consoles and cheaper media (multi-disc). There's no excuse in being lazy.
And I also believe developers are lazy if they need BD. With those machines, compression should be a no-brainer. And remember how they managed to create games back in the old days when they had to squeeze it to fit? Well, stop being lazy and squeeze the data onto one or more DVDs. No excuse for being lazy.

Shin_Gouki

you forgot the "boss" of the "lazy" programmer which tells him:
ok dude (= programmer) do 3 times the work u usually in half of the time. Dont waste ur time with "difficult" designs ,
what do u think are all the EA titels?

we dont have aNY clue how "game" software is created today. its _not_ the devs who are lazy...
its _always_ the management which decides how and when to implement something.

Many people who "code" as their hobby forget that this world is rules by money, as much as possible as cheap as possible.

wbr Shin gOuki

Doomulation

When meaning "devs," we do, of course, refer to the companies who design the games.
Maybe they wouldn't need Blu-ray if Sony hadn't made the machine so damn complicated. It can take up to $30 million to create a game for PS3!
For reference, it takes up to $10 million for Xbox 360 and half that for previous generation (I guess Revolution's costs is about somewhere there too, $5 million).

Flash

Technomage
Sony will always push their proprietary formats and they will always fail. It's the law of the universe, at least it's the way things work on this planet :D

And i think that PS4 will have 20 CPUs, 6 GPUs, special DSPs and it will be real hell for programmers. :D

for me i hate multi-disk games like RE4 for GC of FF's on PSOne, i mean this is next gen. consoles today consoles shouldnt have this kind of problems,look at blue dragon on the x360 already in 3 disk's and i bet theres alot more games out there with the same problem.
Most people (like me) don't care about number of discs if it's a good game and it doesn't require disc swapping every 20 minutes.

There's a lot of people who play on PCs and don't know about no-cd's, so they have to live with stupid things like copy protection which requires disc in drive even if everything installed on hard drive and prevents game from running on ultra-portable laptops w/o internal DVD drive.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I'll go against the norm and say it was a smart decision. Nobody knocked the PS2 when they decided to put a DVD drive in it (and DVD's were still pretty new then). It only makes sense that the medium change with the technology. Why improve everything under the hood and ignore the drive? Seems it would look rather skimpy had they done that.;)

Doomulation

The difference now are several factors...
There was but one format at the time of DVD. There are two formats now.
There was one other factor that I cannot remember...
Anyhow, I think it is irresponsible for Sony to create machines that lasts for 10 years. That's just stupid. In 5 years more, they'll come out with a new, better machine and all the good games will come for that machine, rendering the old one somewhat disappointing.
And the ten year cycle bumps up the price as we've seen.
Now, since it's due to last for 10 years, it does make sense to use a new optical media system, and there is nothing else for Sony to choose but Blu-ray. But from customers viewpoint, it's stupid. Today's games can fit on DVDs. But tomorrow's games - who can say?
So, had Sony made it a 5-year cycle, they wouldn't have had to use Blu-ray and everyone would win. Make it an add-on.
Blu-ray outsells HD-DVD right now and I can think of one reason. When you buy PS3, they stick the Blu-ray down your throat. So when you have to purchase it, why not use it for your High-Def means? Whereas on 360, people don't buy the add-on because they don't have to. They're waiting for the right time, as I'm sure many Blu-ray lovers would. But so again, why should they if they were already forced upon one?

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
The difference now are several factors...
There was but one format at the time of DVD. There are two formats now.
There was one other factor that I cannot remember...
Anyhow, I think it is irresponsible for Sony to create machines that lasts for 10 years. That's just stupid. In 5 years more, they'll come out with a new, better machine and all the good games will come for that machine, rendering the old one somewhat disappointing.
And the ten year cycle bumps up the price as we've seen.
Now, since it's due to last for 10 years, it does make sense to use a new optical media system, and there is nothing else for Sony to choose but Blu-ray. But from customers viewpoint, it's stupid. Today's games can fit on DVDs. But tomorrow's games - who can say?
So, had Sony made it a 5-year cycle, they wouldn't have had to use Blu-ray and everyone would win. Make it an add-on.
Blu-ray outsells HD-DVD right now and I can think of one reason. When you buy PS3, they stick the Blu-ray down your throat. So when you have to purchase it, why not use it for your High-Def means? Whereas on 360, people don't buy the add-on because they don't have to. They're waiting for the right time, as I'm sure many Blu-ray lovers would. But so again, why should they if they were already forced upon one?
Seems to me that if you spend a little more for a 10 year console, you get more value for your money. Who wants to save $100-$200 to cut the lifespan of their game console in half? I know I don't.;)

Doomulation

I know I do. I'll wait at least 5-6 years until the thing becomes cheap enough to purchase.
Besides that, wouldn't PS4 be ever MORE exciting and render PS3 crap when it's out? Then why waste money to keep a console for 10 years when they push out a new in 5 years?

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
With the way technology changes, it's better to have the 5 year system in place.

Think, if it was 10 years, we'd just be getting over the n64 and psx (or a slightyly better version of each because they would have been top of the line at the time).

In the middle we had the gc and ps2 which were much better technologically than their predecessors and what would have been the slightly better version of each.

It's like computers. You don't buy a really expensive computer and expect it to last 10 years. Technology is rapidly changing. My uncle bought a $3000 computer in 1995 and it was obsolete before 2000.

Doomulation

Like Home...
Originally meant for PS2, but when PS3 was released (or was to be), they decided to make it for PS3 instead. Who is to say the next addition, or service, won't be for PS4, to have you upgrade and waste away the money you spent on the PS3?
Technology is too fast and some time in the future, you will want something different. Or maybe that something different is out and you want it. Maybe that's a PS4. Ah yes, you'll have to spend another $600 (or more, if we knew Sony) to get that one when it's out. Or maybe just get a Revolution for $250 for another $250 for the Rev 2 in 5 years.

Lol I didn't think it was that ''smart''
Technology develops and changes faster than ever before.
Even the 10 year system for computers and electronics became a 5 year system because of technology.
Lol I'll be laughing if that system becomes to a 2 year system xP
Even video gaming is changing; look at the Wii. It's a great innovation like never before. YOU actually stand there and do somethin' worthwhile, 'stead of just sitting there like a couch potato and just pressin' some buttons.
Soo Sony and Microsoft better do some thinking >=(