What's new

Script languages to embed which, and suggestions

Cyberman

I've been looking at scripting languages for embeding into a project I've worked on off and on for the last 7 years.
There is TCL (Tool Command Language)
There is Lua (not an acronyme apparently)
What else? The main thing is I wish to use the scripting language to read data from memory (IE data passed to the LUA script) as well as have constant data in the script for 'translating' the data. I need to read bit fields bytes long words you name it. Also there is much graphical information that is necesitated by the original information to be stuffed into an actual window. Further more it would be nice to have some form of event handling to work with a GUI. my vision is something such as:
Code:
script = load_script(<GAME_ID>);
close(script);

in terms of execution where the script that is loaded has instantiation of all necessary window objects and data (IE stored bitmaps that are used for ICONs and images etc).
It might be desireable to pack it using a database engine and type that's platform independent (SQLite for example). Tthat might allow platform migration of the basic tool.

The reason for going to a script language is other people can then develope plugins based on that script language without having to know how to make DLL's. The latter was the original idea, but DLL building for most people is like a black art and kind of a deterent for the basic concept of the original tool to allow more than just one or two people to add new game plugins to it.

The tool is a PS1 memcard editor. I've written one for FF7 (FF7 Jenova Qhimm's original data was very helpful) FF8 (FF8 Griever again thanks Qhimm) and FF9 (just me) However FF tactics Chrono Cross Chrono Trigger and numerous other games I never finished. Got stuck with all the coding involved in making the DLL instead of coding involving accessing the data inside the silly game save file. This ate up more time than I had to spend on examing the game.

Scripts for computing CRC and Checksums for example could be placed as a library that can be passed generic things such as instantiation number of bits and the polynomial on a per game basis instead of reinventing the CRC wheel.

That's the idea. I am just wondering which scripting language can I embed without corrupting the original language with lots of API specific functions to just pass a block of data to and set up windows etc. for twidlding and viewing the data.

Cyb

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Oh ... Python

Python looks closer to what I was looking for.
I'll have to look at the extension options and embeding issues.
More research. It looks like python can be be run as an interactive debugger. The latter is fairly important since the idea was to use an existing set of API functions (IE ones I've provided) to allow plugin editors for memcard data. If all goes well for PS1 data the next contestant is PS2 card data. Decrypting might be a problem with the latter. One thing at a time I guess.

Cyb