What's new

Rumble Support

Aubrien

I am currently running mupen64plus 1.99.5+1 on Ubuntu 13.04. I am controlling it with xboxdrv userspace driver and an XBox 360 wireless control and I have mostly everything working as expected. The only thing I am having issues with is rumble support. I have enabled xboxdrv with force feedback support and I can get it to work with fftest. I chmod 666 the /dev/input/eventX device. For some reason I can only get rumble to work (besides fftest) if I launch mupen64plus with sudo. And even then, the only rumble support I get is when I press the mempack or rumble pack switch buttons and you get the long or short vibration to indicate the switch is taking place. No actual vibration in game. So I am trying to figure out A...why do I need to launch mupen64plus as root and B...why no real vibration from in game events? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

OP
A

Aubrien

I didn't get this working but I did find an alternate solution. Using wine to run Project64 and then using the latest NRage input plugin seems to work. Actually the emulation is better too as I don't see as many video glitches and it just overall seems to run better. Running it in wine has no noticeable performance issues. I'm just going to stick with Project64 under wine I guess.

So to sum it all up in case someone stumbles across this one day, the working solution is...
Ubuntu 13.04
xbox 360 wireless control with usb dongle
xboxdrv v0.8.4 user space driver
wine 1.4.1
Project64 v2.1
Nrage Input v2.3c input plugin in Project64 v2.1 (The bundled plugin didn't work)
chmod 666 /dev/input/event* (insecure but works for now)

This gives working rumble support in all tested games and also give proper working LED player indicators if xboxdrv is configured properly.

Last edited:

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I didn't get this working but I did find an alternate solution. Using wine to run Project64 and then using the latest NRage input plugin seems to work. Actually the emulation is better too as I don't see as many video glitches and it just overall seems to run better. Running it in wine has no noticeable performance issues. I'm just going to stick with Project64 under wine I guess.

Hello Aubrien, we're actually gearing up for the big v2.0 release now, and I have posted a bunch of Release Candidate builds here. The version that you tested is over a year old, and there have been quite a few fixes and new features since this release. I remember fixing some rumble bugs, so it's likely that your problem has been resolved. I would appreciate it if you could download one of the new builds and test it. You should probably get the 64-bit "ubuntu-friendly" build, and you can just untar the archive and run it in place, though you might need to uninstall the older version first.

OP
A

Aubrien

Richard42
The newer mupen64 does in fact work much better. Thanks!

Moshroum
I did the fix you posted and added a set force feedback duration instead of infinite and it does in fact work. Thanks to you too!