What's new

Project64’s Future (donations and v1.7 beta development)

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Update: Site now open! Click here for info!

As you might know the Project64 team mostly have busy lives these days. Improvements, fixes and new features still get added to PJ64 behind closed doors. We've always tended not to talk about what's going on, it probably seems like PJ64 happens only every few years, but really its more like a continuous process; sped up around releases and at many other times with no public sign. We always try to maintain a high quality complete release, so even if a nice feature is added it will not be public until everything else is complete. You've probably noticed public PJ64 releases are irregular, and they are difficult due to a natural reluctance to release – it's risky and actually takes time away from dev., and because everyone needs free time at the same time.

Where are we going with this? Well, no we're not planning a major change to our public release schedule, it works for us and we've been going for a long time. We once ran a program where if you donated money then we would be able to help beta test. We are considering doing something similar again, some type of donated subscription where you get access to all the latest test builds, bug tracking information, latest news of what the different team members are planning to do, what we are doing. This might even include just saying we are too busy with real life and we will be back on such-and-such a date. That way you could see whenever you want exactly what is happening.

This idea and point of this is that it allows you to show real practical support to the PJ64 team (who are btw, not rich). Firstly, it would let you thank us for all the work we've done over the 5+ years, if you just wanted to do that. Secondly, it would be a real way for anyone to improve the prospects for next few years of Project64. In the short term, it will give you access to all new features and fixes, and more as they appear. It would also give users who subscribed more voice and what should be added/fixed with PJ64, for we would like to set up some private forum for these people (unlike the public forum which has always had a 'no requests' policy). We cannot promise to do everything that people want, Project64 will still be a free hobby project, but if someone is supporting us of course we would like to support them too. Subscribers would be viewed as partners, not customers, with certain things expected (e.g. not leaking builds), although the amount you participate would be up to you. To be blunt, the support we do or don't get with this setup, if we went ahead with it, would likely have big effect on the future of Project64. We've long passed the point where we've done everything we set out to do for ourselves - future progress is dependent on motivation, from in and outside the current team to take things further.

Any suggestions or comments for the beta programme?

Sorry, do not post feature requests in this thread. requests/suggestions for the emulator here will be ignored/deleted. Please read the public forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It sounds like a good idea to me, zilmar! I'll definitely donate towards this cause. Plus i'd probably also test it like crazy, I was a 1964 beta tester and it was quite fun at times (I was the bone-idle one ;)) - Well in any case... I'd love to help in any way shape or form that I can.

Woohoo! I got the first replie here, go me!

CLSugarman

I've donated before to the cause (and became one of those beta testers he was talking about) and I'll donate again for the cause. Just thinking about it, you guys really don't get credit your work is worth, in monetary terms. In fact, it makes me feel guilty. I've poorly spent my money on less worthy products. Now where's that paypal button...

Martin

Administrator
Spoke to zilmar about this on IRC before and it sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Good to see you again CLSugarman. :)

bagmcmuffin

Genitals meet Breakfast
I've always been a fan of pj64 and I'd be more than happy to donate to the project. It's one of the few emulators who have really come a long way and has never disappointed me. Count me in.

revgen

zilmar said:
Subscribers would be viewed as partners, not customers, with certain things expected (e.g. not leaking builds)

Good Luck :rolleyes:

I would hate for you guys to turn out like the PSEmu author did, and lose all your motivation if somebody did release it.

If you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong. I support your idea. I just don't want you guys to have false expectations and give up if something did happen.

olivieryuyu

"it will give you access to all new features and fixes"

Zilmar : a leak is for sure a BIG DANGER !!!!! VERY VERY BAD idea (except for cheats or rbd, why not but they 'll be leaked by somebody)

"people that subscribed more voice and what should be added/fixed with PJ64, for we would like to set up some private forum for these people"

that's a very good idea !!!

Everybody that one day played a n64 emulator should make a small donation to PJ64 team

and i can't donate right now as some of the part of PJ64 team know i'm a bit broke for the good of the n64 community. But in future yes.

Last edited:

Allnatural

olivieryuyu said:
"it will give you access to all new features and fixes"

Zilmar : a leak is for sure a BIG DANGER !!!!! VERY VERY BAD idea (except for cheats or rbd, why not but they 'll be leaked by somebody)
They've done this before. I don't recall any problems then, and I doubt that there will be any this time.

ggab

Emutalk Member
great idea :)

a huge thanks to PJ64's team (what a wonderful team ;) ) and thanks Zilmar for telling us about PJ64's future.

Indeed, as xneoangel said, you guys deserve it for all the effort and time you put on PJ64.

PS: what a pity! paypal does not operate in argentina :( (and i do not have a credit card...)

q_armando

CLSugarman said:
I've donated before to the cause (and became one of those beta testers he was talking about) and I'll donate again for the cause. Just thinking about it, you guys really don't get credit your work is worth, in monetary terms. In fact, it makes me feel guilty. I've poorly spent my money on less worthy products. Now where's that paypal button...
Same over here,
I really like your work and I am looking forward to pay my little duce if that's going to help the project.

PalmTree

I have been planning on donating for a long time... inside information, private builds and a private forum is more than enough reason to stop procrastinating and get off my ass. I think it's a great idea!

WhiteX

ggab said:
PS: what a pity! paypal does not operate in argentina :( (and i do not have a credit card...)

I got the same prob but in Brazil and i understand that there are many emutalkers that lives in oplaces out of paypal reach and, like me, want to thank the hours of fun that PJ64 has given us, is there any other alternative.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Gent said:
Stuck and can i say what a great response :)
I was actually going to say something else but I realized it was a stupid idea and just left the sticky suggestion. Something about needing 500 posts to join so if it was leaked they'd have something to worry about... but it wouldn't work would it.

xneoangel

Persona User
ggab said:
PS: what a pity! paypal does not operate in argentina (and i do not have a credit card...)

WhiteX said:
I got the same prob but in Brazil and i understand that there are many emutalkers that lives in oplaces out of paypal reach and, like me, want to thank the hours of fun that PJ64 has given us, is there any other alternative.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-approved-signup-countries-outside

Well this link may help you guys.
And before you ask yes im from south america too :p

PalmTree

ScottJC said:
I was actually going to say something else but I realized it was a stupid idea and just left the sticky suggestion. Something about needing 500 posts to join so if it was leaked they'd have something to worry about... but it wouldn't work would it.

Yeah.... I don't really like that idea for obvious reasons, lol.

I'm the kind of person who visits forums like this one ritually for years, but don't post much. I just browse, find answers to my questions, and just generally fill up on knowledge. I don't think you can judge loyalty or whatever by post count alone.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I wouldn't worry about that Palmtree, it's not likely to work very well.

As for paypal problems, what about worldpay.com ? would that work in argentina I wonder... it's an alternative to paypal.