What's new

Project 64 1.6 Source code - Any Idea on how to bypass the GameShark Limit?

Tarek701

So, I have been lurking around in the source code now for 2 days. Reason for this was, to do an easy edit to bypass the 499 Cheat Limit.
For those who don't know:
When you add GameShark codes longer than 499 lines, the GUI freezes. I'm not even safe if it is exactly 499, it could be more or less.

So, I've tried to do it manually by adding it to the .cht file. However, this time it just cut off the restly codes by just showing 499 lines.

I also didn't found anything inside of the cheats.c, which is maybe responsible for this. Does someone have an idea what variable is responsible for this? If not, then is there some way to still get around that limit?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
this forum has times when members do not visit for weeks months of even years, please be patient.

you may consider sending a project 64 source hackers a p.m.

OP
T

Tarek701

this forum has times when members do not visit for weeks months of even years, please be patient.

you may consider sending a project 64 source hackers a p.m.
Well, true.

I don't know any PJ64 Source hackers here. Do you have any names? If yes, then I'm going to PM them. (Please tell me some active users plase)

Cyberman

I'm unfamiliar with the code in PJ64 ... and of course the Gameshark for that matter.

First if there is a 499 line limit you might want to search for the integer 499 or 500 in the source code.

Just a thought their.

Second you might also want to look for how it stores it's cheat codes in the system. If the game shark is a program that is N64 (IE mips R4600 based code) then you might be looking in the wrong place.

Depends on how it was implemented in PJ64, IE if it is a plugin it might not reside in the main source (but in a plugin sub directory for example).
If it's an image of the Gameshark ROM then you have to edit that data ROM carefully.

That's just off the top of my head. I suggest formulating a plan first. Then poke around in the code.

That's how I made (eons ago) my own plugin for the PS1 GPU for playstation emulation (boring as it was).

Cyb

OP
T

Tarek701

I'm unfamiliar with the code in PJ64 ... and of course the Gameshark for that matter.

First if there is a 499 line limit you might want to search for the integer 499 or 500 in the source code.

Just a thought their.

Second you might also want to look for how it stores it's cheat codes in the system. If the game shark is a program that is N64 (IE mips R4600 based code) then you might be looking in the wrong place.

Depends on how it was implemented in PJ64, IE if it is a plugin it might not reside in the main source (but in a plugin sub directory for example).
If it's an image of the Gameshark ROM then you have to edit that data ROM carefully.

That's just off the top of my head. I suggest formulating a plan first. Then poke around in the code.

That's how I made (eons ago) my own plugin for the PS1 GPU for playstation emulation (boring as it was).

Cyb

Well, it looks like that the string buffer is limited, but I can't find the point in PJ64, where it actually does happen.