What's new

Problems with a PS2 SCPH50001

bcrew1375

I've been getting very annoyed while trying to determine a problem with a PS2. The PS2 has the oh-so-common Disc Read Error. I've tried all the standard fixes and nothing. The system stays at the Browser screen with "Reading Disc" flashing at the bottom. Here's what I've tried:

* Adjusting the laser height, I set it to the exact height of my own PS2's laser.
* Greasing the rails the laser is on.
* Removing the laser and replacing it with the laser from my own PS2, which is still running smoothly. (Same model, same type of laser).
* Every type of disc I can think of, not one of them will read.
* I haven't tried adjusting the voltage. If my own PS2's laser won't work, then I doubt adjusting the voltage would help.
* Yelling at it.

I haven't had any luck with any of those. If anyone with experience at this could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Please, no replies with "Get an Xbox or Gamecube" or "Buy a new PS2"

Last edited:
OP
B

bcrew1375

It's a large PS2. It doesn't have an eject ribbon cable. It has two white wheels instead of one for adjusting the laser. It's basically about the newest large PS2 there is.

smegforbrain

Hmm. Yeah, unfortunately, there's nothing in your list there that I didn't try myself when my original PS2 started giving tons of those "disc read errors". I finally gave up on it and bought a slim PS2.

I'm not sure what the expected lifespan is of a PS2, but I'm sure I just flat out wore mine out, having had it for 5 years.

I tried looking around a bit for info for you, but didn't really come up with anything that might give an indication to hardware issues beyond the laser that would be causing this (but I suck at using search engines). Hopefully somebody else can come up with something for you.

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
i would have not messed with it and sent it to sony for an free repair cuz they got sued over this