What's new

Perfect emulation of Mario Tennis 64

DETOMINE

Hello everyone.
Please forgive my english, it's not my native language. :(
Please forgive me also if you already knew the news, but I think it may even become a sticky post :p.

Let's get straight to the point. I tested several emulators and several video plugins in a attempt to find a way to play Mario Tennis perfectly. So far the best results were found with jabo plugin(s), let's say the game was playable.

I recently found that Dolphin (yes, the GC/WII emulator!) was also able to play N64 games. Without that much hope, I tried it with Mario Tennis 64.
And it works, it just freaking works!

So here I am, sharing the discovery (well, I am pretty sure many of you knew already).

So, what do we need?
-Dolphin (obviously) + LLE sound plugin (google it). Note : I don't think the LLE sound plugin is necessary for Mario Tennis 64, but you will need it for Mario Kart 64 for example.
I personally use the revision 3.0-716

-the rom Mario Tennis.wad
Please note what you can only use special kind of rom (.wad files), which may be more difficult to obtain than "classical" ones (.z64 or so).

You may also need to configure dolphin to speed up things a little, but that's not the point here. (Hints : opengl/DSP LLE)
Also please note that in the case of Mario Tennis 64, you need to configure a GC-pad and to press "alt+F5" at the beginning when "you need a classic controller" is printed on the screen.

So, after all these years, you can play Mario tennis 64 without graphic bug :D

I did also some tests with other game (only several minutes, I didn't test everything):
-Mario 64 seems to work very well
-Zelda 64 suffers from random crash, savestates don't work?
-Mario Kart 64 seems to work very well, no audio with HLE audio?

Let's resume it :
Advantages over pj64/1964
+no graphic bug
+dolphin is a very active project, more to come?

Disadvantages
-no online multiplayer (may work soon)
-random crash (at least with Zelda 64)
-you need a very, very powerful hardware, let's remember it's basically an emulator on an emulator on a pc
-not many rom available (only the one available in the wiiware market)

So it may be a good idea to add dolphin in the list of emulators for N64, at least for its ability to emulate perfectly Mario Tennis 64!

Sorry again if it has been already posted.

DETOMINE

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

I think those are the Wii Virtual Console ROMs. The problem with Dolphin is that you need a extremely powerful GPU and a CPU overclocked at 5 GHz to run it at full speed.

OP
D

DETOMINE

I think those are the Wii Virtual Console ROMs.
You're right.
The problem with Dolphin is that you need a extremely powerful GPU and a CPU overclocked at 5 GHz to run it at full speed.
That's not true (well not entirely).
Zelda 64 run at full speed
Mario 64 run at full speed
Mario kart 64 run at full speed
Mario tennis 64 run at 80% speed

(Config : CPU 3820QM, GPU 7970M (laptop))

At least now that we have (near) perfect emulation, it's a matter of time for us to have enough power to play.

For those that will ask no this system will not emulate the 3 Lucasarts games. yet...

I wasn't able to find the wad files of the games. If someone have those, I will gladly test the games.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I think those are the Wii Virtual Console ROMs.
Here is a List of official n64 vc games.
Users are able to pack there own wads with some tool that will remain nameless.

I wasn't able to find the wad files of the games. If someone have those, I will gladly test the games.

I have packed my own wads and rogue squadron will not work.

Notice to all members:
Please don't request any WADS or ROMS.

DETOMINE, This warning is a freebie. :D

Last edited: