What's new

PC Action magazine: Emulation edition

Trotterwatch

Caught site of this in the local Import magazines shop in Sweden: http://www.livepublishing.co.uk/pcaction/pca9.shtml

I flicked through it, and went to the N64 section... what a joke to be honest. The emulators tested were:

PJ64 1.5
Got high marks and praise

Was called fiddly and a pain to set up

Nemu 0.7
Basically called useless - well it is the old version and it was ancient... how much research did they do? They criticised it for not running any of the below mentioned test games. Actually they said it emulated Mario 64 - badly with crappy sound.

They tested a grand total of 3 games:

Mario 64 - this was called a very intensive game to emulate and required higher system requirements than most other emulated N64 games!

Goldeneye - didn't mention anything about it needing higher specs than most

Pilotwings - basically said this game was still not emulated very well and had errors on every emulator

Whomever wrote the article partially redeemed themselves by linking to this site though. Due to how brief and innacurate this section was, it doesn't lead me to trusting all the other sections that much.

A pity that the company that makes Games TM or Edge didn't make an Emulation edition, as I'd be inclined to believe they'd do it properly and not half assed and innacurate.

Last edited:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Man, this is just asking Nintendo to come in there with a lausuit, haha. As for 1964, I agree, heh heh. I've tried it on multiple videocards and have never gotten it working very well. Ah well. :)
- Modem

2fast4u

from the description it seems like that feature was mostly written around 1999 or something. if the most advanced game they found was golden eye im suprised they didnt review uhle1. also, the description states the n64 is the most recent system to be emulated ... i guess they havent heard of chanka either...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IMO most printed magazines tend to be clueless when they do reviews on practically anything. This just goes to show it.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
In my country there are emulation sections or even emulation editions on most of the popular pc magazines. Most of the articles dedicated to emulation are quite accurate and recent. It is also very likely to find arcade roms on some of the CDs-DVDs that come with these magazines (since it is illegal for us to use arcade boards as they are consered as gambling machines :huh: ).

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
PsyMan said:
In my country there are emulation sections or even emulation editions on most of the popular pc magazines. Most of the articles dedicated to emulation are quite accurate and recent. It is also very likely to find arcade roms on some of the CDs-DVDs that come with these magazines (since it is illegal for us to use arcade boards as they are consered as gambling machines :huh: ).

Do you live in greece?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Modem said:
Man, this is just asking Nintendo to come in there with a lausuit, haha. As for 1964, I agree, heh heh. I've tried it on multiple videocards and have never gotten it working very well. Ah well. :)
- Modem

Err.. Don't mean to slam you but what the hell has 1964 got to do with Video cards?! Its the video plugin that is responcible for that.

Plus the GBA is the most recent system to be emulated not the N64 ;)

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
1* Misspelt "lawsuit", I'd just gotten up. :p

2* Okay, I should say that in a different way: I've never gotten 1964, and any video plugin I've tried with it to work well. From my radeon 9000 to my 6800, haven't had luck. Even jabo's in that emulator doesn't work/look proper, and it works just fine in PJ64. There, happy? :p
- Modem

knowitman

I remember when TechTV did emulation for N64. That was a while back though. It seems most of the media tries to do something like emulation and have no idea what they are talkin about.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
Was called fiddly and a pain to set up

They tested a grand total of 3 games:

Mario 64 - this was called a very intensive game to emulate and required higher system requirements than most other emulated N64 games!

Goldeneye - didn't mention anything about it needed higher specs than most

Super Mario 64 having high system requirements is complete BS!!!

Goldeneye 007 having lower system requirements is also complete BS!!!

The same is true for what they said about 1964. 1964 0.9.9 ROCKS!!!

They seem no more intelligent than a schizophrenic.

Chris_W

RJARRRPCGP said:
They seem no more intelligent than a schizophrenic.

Ive met many an intelligent schizophrenic :plain:

i would really love to see this mag in a scan, as the last time i saw anything emu related was from smiff years ago in the form of a low level scan and i couldnt quite make out what the hell was written.