What's new

Newbie Wanting To Learn Assembly

UnsafeData

I want to learn assembly for older games.. 8-bit and 16-bit. I have no experience in any programming language whatsoever.

I've checked the threads but I wanna make sure I know where to go....

What's a good site that will teach me assembly or what should I go about learning this?

Note: I'm posting this thread in several different sites so you might see this thread elsewhere.. just wanna get the quickest reply..

Cyberman

Welcome to Emutalk

Well here are the list of things to do:
  1. Decide what platforms you want to learn assembly for.
  2. Pick the platform you know the most about first as your target to learn assembly on.
  3. Find out the processor and the exact version of it that is used on that platform.
  4. Look for demo code written for that platform then read through the assembly instruction set and write down comments on what you think the code is doing.
As for assemly itself I know it for Z80 c51 C251 68K x86 68hc11/12.
The Z80, 68K and 6502 were popular old school processors.
The platform is necessary (just to give you a heads up) because if you wish to hack a game you will have to deal with the low level hardware.

Romhacking.net has a lot of really good and decent coders that hack things like you are contemplating. I think you should ask on the forums there in Coding/Programming for starters. When you get into a project then you might want to post stuff in General Romhacking. There are LOTS of files on hacking games etc. on the main website too. :DHave fun!
Cyb