What's new

N64 emu for Dreamcast

Martin

Administrator
<a href=http://www.dcemu.co.uk>wraggster</a> let me know some exciting news that should interest both N64 and Dreamcast fans. A new emulator is in the works - a N64 emu for Dreamcast. Here's what the author/porter has to say about it:

<font class=post_quote>This is a port of Nincest to the Dreamcast. Currently only runs fire and stars demos very very slowly.

On Windows I have it displaying the N64 logo for the start up of WaveRunner, but the rom is to big for the Dreamcast.

The colors are way off right now, and I am using SDL to render the screen.

Troy</a></font>

A WIP screenshot is available in <a href=http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news&action=display&num=1091228185>this thread</a> over at the DCEmu.co.uk forums. Thanks for the notice, wraggster. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stezo2k

S-2K
nice, haven't heard of that emulator, but ultrahle would of been a more promising emulator, due to it's speed, and plus a few good games could be playable (8 megs for mario 64 is only half the DC's Main RAM)

but good progress never the less :)

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
Well ultrahle, is only useful on the x86 processors, i doubt if it could be ported, that it would be any faster.

Stezo2k

S-2K
LyonHrt said:
Well ultrahle, is only useful on the x86 processors, i doubt if it could be ported, that it would be any faster.

fair enough mate, i don't know too much about the ultrahle technical aspects, i mentioned uhle, because it was made for lower spec systems and the source is available, if ported properly, i do believe it could work decently

LyonHrt

Dcemu.co.uk guy
Hehe no probs, thought i'd mention it, in case other people were wondering as well ;)

Actually there have been several attempts at porting a N64 emulator to the Dreamcast, (talking about real emu's by respected coders, not the fake kind ;)), though they've failed to run, or had to many problems for them to be usefull.

Interesting, the coder of Nincest (marius), has posted his interest in this emu, with his last (unreleased) source, so this is definitely something to watch.