What's new

Mupen64Plus v2.6.0 Release - it's been a long time coming!

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hello N64 Emulator Fans! Just like the last time we made a Mupen64Plus release, I have to say that the world was a different place when we last made a release! I think it's even more true now than it was 5 and a half years ago, when we published v2.5.9. I apologize for taking so long in between releases. You know how it is; life goes by awful quick.

I changed a couple of things with the build process. The pre-built 32-bit bundles for Windows and Linux are gone. Probably not too many users are interested in those old architectures any more.

The download page is on our github site:

https://github.com/mupen64plus/mupen64plus-core/releases/tag/2.6.0

Quick start (Linux)
The easiest way to start running and testing this release is to download a binary bundle package from the github site (link above), unzip it into a directory, and run it with this command: "./mupen64plus m64p_test_rom.v64". You can run it directly from this directory, or to install it to your system, simply do "sudo ./install.sh". Likewise, to un-install it, "sudo ./uninstall.sh"

Quick start (Windows)
For Windows users, download the bundle-win64 zip file from the github site (link above) and unzip it to a directory. Open your DOS prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe or the "Command Prompt" in Start->Accessories). Once you have the command-line window, 'cd' to the directory where you unzipped the win64 bundle. Then run "mupen64plus-ui-console.exe m64p_test_rom.v64" to start up the test ROM. Press Escape to exit. Use the '--help' command-line option to get a list of all available options. The last argument is always taken to be a path to an uncompressed N64 ROM image to run. Sorry but there is currently no Windows installer available.

The MD5 sums for these packages are:

2e6fef8acfa9ac839cfa486cbeae3608 mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-2.6.0.tar.gz
9e954dc5161e989f7b6e8cf942843926 mupen64plus-bundle-osx-2.6.0.zip
473e27f7421a4aee4a248a568f10af19 mupen64plus-bundle-src-2.6.0.tar.gz
09fe415cb7b0f0ed12e14ff6684509f1 mupen64plus-bundle-win64-2.6.0.zip

Front-end applications
As many of you know, I made a major change in the architecture of Mupen64Plus when we began working towards this release, back in 2009. I separated all of the user-interface functions from the core emulator and re-designed the core to be a library which can be linked against different user interfaces (called Front-end applications). This architecture allows us to focus on making the best emulator possible while reaching the widest audience by allowing other developers to write front-end programs for any platform. Users should be aware that the front-end application which is included with the release bundles is a command-line application. We keep a list of third-party plugins and applications here.

Documentation
Mupen64Plus has a Home Page at mupen64plus.org, with lots of useful information. Our source control and bug trackers are here on github.com.