What's new

I'm fed up with games that boast graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

revl8er

That Damn Good
We are just getting old, you have to realize that. We grew up in days where gameplay actually meant something, and these stupid developers didnt solely rely on graphics. I remember playing games such as pong and pacman as a kid. Hell, I would even play my NES over any of these new systems, because the games were actually fun. It is a rare thing for me to find a game that I could sit down and enjoy for a few hours. I believe the last game that I actually went through and finished a couple of times was KOTOR2, because the story was great even though a lot of the content was missing it was an excellent game.

We can't blame everything on the creators though, a lot of the blame goes on the consumers. If kids these days didnt care what a game looks like, then we wouldnt be in this situation.

I'm not saying that games these days arent good though, cause I still enjoy playing frachises such as metal gear, resident evil, zelda, megaman, etc.. I also enjoyed the remakes of metal gear and RE on the gamecube, and the megaman remakes on the DS. I just think that developers these days can take a little more time and work in a decent story to go with their superb graphics. I mean even I thought games such as The Godfather had excellent graphics, but the game completely sucked IMO. Those are just my opinions on the matter, take them how you want.

As for the WII defeating the PS3 and 360 both, I would really like to see that happen, but I highly doubt it will because of consumers these days preferring graphics over gameplay.

OP
J

Janet Merai

TLOZ: Unicorns Lair Artist
Its just too bad =/

I've tried MANY games, only to find them HIGHLY dissapointing.

Maybe we will never get a good game..maybe we will.

Ah well, when I get into the industry, I am going to make gaming different :)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Janet Merai said:
Maybe we will never get a good game..maybe we will.
Eh? Excuse me but there are plenty of good games available to play, its a bit harsh to say every game on the market is rubbish like you just implied.

What about Psychonauts thats a fairly recent awesome game, then theres Tomb Raider Legend, which was great fun and not just because of graphics... in fact it was the only tomb raider game that I didn't get bored of after five minutes.

If you stop putting so much emphasis on graphics yourself you might actually see some good titles, its not just a matter of looking at a screenshot and saying "Wow that looks awesome, it must suck ass!" - Nintendo are pretty much doing what they always did when they make games too so you have nothing to worry about.

Face it, graphics aren't going to go away so you're going to have to get over it. You grew up playing the NES or genesis so your expectations are different than the kids these days.

Last edited:

Damage

ScottJC said:
Tomb Raider Legend, which was great fun and not just because of graphics... in fact it was the only tomb raider game that I didn't get bored of after five minutes.

Hi to all i am new to this forum was reading this thread and i have to say

1. Janet I agree with you 1000% i know exactly where you are coming from :)

2. to the Quote above by ScottJC arnt you contridicting yourself saying that ???

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
How am I? I was saying that Tomb Raider legend has better gameplay than the originals which I played ten years ago, super boring the lot of them. The controls are even better in Tomb Raider Legend. My point is that the reason games aren't as good anymore is because we keep expecting gaming to stay the same as it was over 10 years ago.

*I played tomb raider 1, 2, 3 etc when they were new*! I can honestly say I never really got into that series at all until now.

Also I dare say that the graphics are just an excuse for gaming being different, we are after all an aging generation (I am 22), there is already another generation of gamers and we're starting to feel like our fathers when the music shifted to what it is now. Can you tell me why they aren't fond of the new music? HRM? I do like older music mind you.

I have an open mind unlike most people. Go play X3 The Reunion if you think gaming these days is *that* bad.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
revl8er said:
We are just getting old, you have to realize that. We grew up in days where gameplay actually meant something, and these stupid developers didnt solely rely on graphics.
Haha, yes, sure thing. It does have a ring to it =] We aren't ... used to today's games.

As for the WII defeating the PS3 and 360 both, I would really like to see that happen, but I highly doubt it will because of consumers these days preferring graphics over gameplay.
Are you sure? The Revolution has gotten a lot of hype and most people want a Revolution before any other consoles, last I looked. The industry changed gamers into what they are today and it can change them again.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I was using music as a way of explaining why we today may feel as we do towards gaming... because music can change during generations so can games and everything else, you may have noticed television is different now too... a show like South Park would be considered unacceptable to old timers but to our generation is it pure gold.

I was using it as an example, gamers change along the generations too its not just limited to music and television. Games are different now because they are more complex and built by larger teams. In some respects they may be better and in others may be worse.

All I can say is Hitman Blood money is an awesome game, and its brand spanking new, if I were to take this threads title literally then all games with good graphics would be considered "crap".

Sure games are different now but think about it, if we keep expecting the same thing we'll always think new stuff is crap.

Last edited:

Damage

I think more gameplay and more game style is needed I play lots adventure games which these days have some pretty good looking graphics and glorius 'SPEECH' but the gameplay is still the same

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well as Scott was saying, I agree that all games today aren't bad, but a lot these days are. I'm not saying that I am not used to todays games, because I still enjoy playing a lot of the RPGs out today and I am still into fps games. I havent had a chance to play Tomb Raider Legends yet, but I have been looking to pick it up one of these days. If its as good as you say it is, then I probably will enjoy it.

Now about the music thing, I enjoy a lot of the rock music, but the rap music has gotten completely stupid. And yes most things can relate to gaming, but what I was trying to say was that gaming needs to get off of trying to make a game look pretty and put more work into the gameplay.

I for one am not expecting games to stay the same, cause if that was the case then we would still be playing games with dots instead of the games we have today with full 3d movement. I think that change is a good thing, and I am glad that we did go into the change we have today. But if you look at games that were on the systems such as the N64 like Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, and Conkers BFD, you can see that games can have nice graphics and great gameplay its just up to the developers to make it that way.

Marioyasha

Am I the ONLY one who is fed up with games that say "hey, we have great grahpics, buy us!"

I MISS the old days where a storyline, game-play and controls were number one in the gaming era long ago.

Now we have games that rely on graphics to make the game a "game"

Whatever happened to being able to PLAY the game without starting at the graphics and eventually get fed up with a misleading support for controls and gameplay?

IM SICK of games that advertise the graphics yet have nightmarish controls and gameplay.

I am becoming a game developer, not a programmer as I stink at programming and dislike it, where I direct, throw in ideas, beta test, design lands and rooms, design characters and anything artistic.
I want to change the way games are today too.

Games are becoming just like the TV does, they influence graphics as TV reflects crystal clear pictures, not a storyline

What the freaking heck is up with people today? Don't they give a rats a* to how crucial a game is on everything BUT graphics?

I've seen so many people on cgtalk.com hiring 3D modelers, yet their games are horrid without controls and such.
I'd like to see the gaming industry get a new face than 3D high detailed graphics being the ideal rate..we need a change, and I intend to make that change.
Why can't they just do both cough"Nintendo,Zelda,Mario"cough,cough.Uhhh I must be catching a cold!!!1

Cyberman

Welcome to Emutalk.

This thread is 22 months old... the subject is quite dead. Please don't post to dead threads.

Cyb

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.