What's new

IBM/x86 PC documentation

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
It's been quite a while again :p

Lately, I've been having computer problems (with my notebook), meaning I won't be able to work on some of my emulation projects for a while :( In the mean time, I think I'm going to take Shizzy's advice, try emulating an old x86 pc architecture (i.e. i8088, i8086, 186, 286, 386, Pentium MMX, etc.) until HP fixes my notebook (which may take a while). The idea of the emulator is to allow the user to choose what hardware he want to emulate (i.e. CPU, GPU, SPU, etc.). Something a little different than what most PC emulators implement.

So far I haven't been able to gather information on the hardware necisarry to emulate a PC, but I have gathered some documentation on certain hardware, but I don't know where to look for others (I've been at this for a while now). Here's a list of what I do/don't have:

Do:
- CPUs (i8088, i8086, i80186, Pentium)
- Memory map for i8088, and i8086 PCs
- VGA hardware
- Some 3D accelerators (Riva128 and Voodoo 1, Banshee, 2, and 3).
- 3D accelerator's BIOS for all the above except Voodoo 1 which has no BIOS.

Don't:
- CPUs (i286, i386, i486)
- Interrupt controller (PIC)
- Input devices (i.e. keyboard, mouse)
- Floppy disk drive
- CD Drive
- Hard Disk Drive
- BIOS details
- Sound hardware

Hopefully there isn't anything I've been missing here. Also, I don't expect this to be an easy task either, but I want to continue to keep up a good knowledge of x86 architecture emulation. The reason I got the information on the 3D accelerators was because I've never seen a PC emulator emulate any video cards other than a standard VGA card. I have full documentation on the 3Dfx Voodoo, but getting enough information on the NVIDIA Riva128 to actually emulate it was painfully hard, but I did it though.

Any links/ideas? Thanks.