What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

I want to have seperate copies of games with and without hires textures. Help me!!

djm1319

Before I begin I'd like to mention that I'm using Project64 2.1

What I want to have is something like what is demonstrated below:

Game library:
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart 64 HD

In the hires_texture folder:
Mario Kart 64 HD

I'm not sure how to go about this. If it's just a matter of changing the filenames in the Mario Kart hd texture subfolders then that's easy enough, but I think it's something more.

I'm farily new to utilizing Project64 like this, but I noticed earlier after right-clicking on Mario Kart 64 in the game library in P64 in ROM information that the ROM Name and File Name both say MARIOKART64, matching the original hires_texture folder.
My theory is that it's relative to the ROM Name for roms as well as subfolder names in the hires_texture location. So if this is so, how would I change the ROM name?

Any help is much appreciated. I'd like to also mention that I'm using this for an ultimate setup that I'm working on that utilizes xbmc and uses advanced launcher as a frontend. I want my game library to be absolutely complete, featuring original N64 games as well as 'HD versions' that utilize textures I've discovered from this forum.

F

Fanatic 64

Use an hexadecimal editor (like HxD) to change the internal name from MARIOKART64 to MARIOKARTHD or something like that (open the ROM file, and write over the MARIOKART64 text in the right of the window, make sure you only overwrite the original name characters) and also rename the folder inside hires_texture to MARIOKARTHD.

OP
D

djm1319

So whilst writing that post I discovered within myself to google a solution. So I did a bit of short research and ultimately dwindled down on a solution that I couldn't find anywhere. It's amazing how I've gone from student to teacher today, after observing so many people show how to do so much with emulators over the course of the past few days. Lesson time:

How to have seperate copies of games with & without hi-res textures in Project64:

1. Download the N64 ROM Renamer on Romhacking.net

2. Discover hi-res textures for a game that you would like to apply them to

3. create your hires_texture folder in the Plugin folder of your version of Project 64 and drop your textures in there

4. Download File Renamer Basic. I can't supply a google search, but it's most likely the first result.

This program is extremely easy to use. After some fiddling around for at least 3 minutes anyone can know how to rename files, because that's what we're going to do.

Have a window on one side of your monitor with the hires_texture folder open. Copy (ctrl + c) and paste (ctrl + v) your folder into File Renamer. Rename everything in every folder that has the name of the game that is in all caps at the start of the name of every file.
For example, in my case:

Before: MARIOKART64 is at the start of the name of every file

Change: MARIOKART64
To: MARIOKART64 HD

After: MARIOKART64 HD is at the start of the name of every file

Make sure that this name at the start of every file is the same name of your game file.

5. Open N64 Rom Renamer and go to tools > headerediter, select ok or whatever it says in the alert message. Select your game, in my case my Mario Kart 64 that I want in HD. Change the internal romname to whatever that you wish.

This is the most important thing I can share here:

You cannot have the internal romname of your alternate game files have the same lettering as the name of your texture files.

In my case:

All texture files had: MARIOKART64 HD at the beginning
My internal romname: MARIOKART64 HD

My standard/regular copy of Mario Kart 64 internal romname: MK64

If the titles match in this case all copies of your same game will have hi-res textures.

That is all. Hope I am some help to fellow enthusiasts.